1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what you dont miss till its gone

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Apr 10, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

How is it we never notice things till to late?
    Wanted a petrol can to get some diesel//////oh its Sunday ill go to the garage///////oh sorry we dont sell them here, after i have hunted high and low down the sandwhiches,cakes drinks and various other delights of the M & S mini stroe. But your a garage? Yes sir..So why dont you have a pertol can? We dont....So what if i break down and need petrol.You could call the AA sir!
    Three pertol stations later with similar answers, one tesco store,2 cheap stores,one motor factor( all the rest are closed ..its after 2 pm on a sunday! finally travel 3-4 miles to B&Q to get one...then 2 miles back to get diesel!
    On the way meeting BG plate driver travelling at 15 MPH and twitching at every movement near the pavement or car heading his way. the BMW driver who loved his car so much he dissappeared below the dash while driving along and later appeared with his mobile, the woman who decided she had to show he supperiority being in a merc....by vering in front of me and then turning right without a signal,the pedestrian who was intent on meeting allah in paridise without doing a jihad exposion and the young hip hop man whose approach to raod crossing is to boldly walk out into the road and pretend heis in soem rural raod of jamacia with only chickens and goats for company, and cyclist who did a right tun round a rounderbout from the inside lane with no signals( i did politly ask him if his right hand was worn out from other work!)
    Is it me? Why do i meet all the wierdos?
    And why dont petrol stations sell things for cars.....

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

and bad spellings because i wasnt wearing my glasses typing this lol

3. Fruit bonbons. You know those boiled sweets with the soft centres. I used to use them to bribe the kids to get them walking up the hills/tors.
    Well they've stopped making them. Now did they ask me first ....no

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I remember a sweetie that you used to be able to buy in Boots (the chemist). They came in a big packet, all individually wrapped, and they were called Acid Drops. They also did Fruit Drops. My parents used to buy a bag of each before we went on camping holidays. I loved them. They were fantastic. They don't do them anymore and haven't done since the 70's. [​IMG]
    Why not? I want them back. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My favourite thing was to stick one down the side of my teeth, in my cheek as it were, and just let it dissolve over time. They were hard boiled sweets and took ages to dissolve.
    I'm surprised I've got any teeth left [​IMG]
    I still crave them now and again. There's nothing quite the same on the market these days.

5. I think you will find that they still sell them. Try one of these old fashioned sweet shops. Good luck.

6. I have a garage full of petrol cans!!!
    I miss curries.....on WW at the min and being really good. Will be going for one at the end of May to celebrate my birthday.

x

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I miss Old-English Spangles...they were so good!

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Do you remember the cola flavoured spangles they brought out?
    They were fantastic.

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

When I was young there were only the two types of Spangles.
    Regular (fruit flavoured) and Old-English (humbug, wintergreen, aniseed, and my favourite....clove!)

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

For a very short period ( I seem to remember they were only on the market for a short while, but could be wrong) during 1975 they brought out cola flavoured spangles. Bliss.

11. I miss my red hair. Never thought I would but now I am more blond than red and I hate it!!!

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Gobstoppers

Red Ants

13. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

It isn't just about sweets though, is it? It's things like seeing someone in trouble by the side of the road who could desperately do with your help, but you have to think twice in case a passing cop thinks you're a likely candidate to be a rapist because you're changing a girl's tyre. The second thought you'd have at helping a lost child in case you later become involved in a paedaphile hunt through the CCTV footage of the event.
    Among my many projects is to build a time machine with an off switch I could flick once we'd reached back to the days when sanity was more commonplace.

14. I totally agree. I did a First Aid course recently and one of the underlying themes was either litigation or placing oneself in a position of being accused of paedophilia. Horrible!
    I rather like your time machine idea, Modelmaker.