1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What Xmas fare have you still got in your cupboards?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I still have unopened: a large panettone, 2 packets of luxury mince pies, a stollen, a large box of Lindt chocs, a box of After 8s, a Christmas cake, a Brie, 2 large Port Salut cheeses, a pack of St Agur. I am ashamed that I bought far too much. I think it must be something to do with being a war child brought up with rationing. I always have loads of soap and loo rolls and light bulbs stashed away too. Anyone else find they have bought too much?

Noja likes this.
  2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I only have a Christmas Pud, various unopened cheeses, one packet of cream crackers, one packet of mince pies and a pot of double cream

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That's still a surfeit, Did.

4. Didactylos4

Indeed
    And one I am quite ashamed of.
    I am usually more frugal :oops:

I have LOADS of alcohol left but that keeps

sabrinakat and cuteinpuce like this.
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I packed up all the alcohol and gave it to my son to take home.

6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It would take me a long, long time to list what xmas things I've got in the cupboards. I froze a batch of turkey today and we'll eat the soup I made with the rest tomorrow.
    My son is being sent back to university with a very generous goody bag so that'll shift a lot.
    Otherwise we'll finish it over New Year or shortly after, none will go to waste but I did buy too much. Not good really.

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

We have three large cauliflowers. They were clearly bought with some culinary purpose in mind but neither of us can remember what it was now.

rouxx and Noja like this.
  8. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I still have a Christmas pudding from last year. As for this year, an Iceberg lettuce, 3 yakky parsnips, three boxes of Matchmakers, 4 nets of chocolate coins (which I'd lost but have now turned up - will have to have another Christmas stocking day), 4 tubes of Pastilles, Smarties, Jelly Tots x 2

9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

So, you'll take the posh liquor out of the cupboard for your own consumption?

alco.jpeg

We've nothing left because we bought little...went to a hotel in Ireland and then visited MrSK's family (mainly MIL)...finishing the wine in the hotel room tonight before we return via the ferry to the UK.

10. Didactylos4

To quote a fairly famous seagull
    "MINE !"

rachelpaula008 and sabrinakat like this.
  11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Nope. There is no alcohol in the house, whether posh or not. I believe 'liquor' is an Americanism,

sabrinakat likes this.
  12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'm American :(

cuteinpuce likes this.
  13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

But 'when in Rome' and all that...

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. Didactylos4

Nobody's perfect :D:p

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Sabrina did call it posh liquor rather than fancy liquor, so she's picking up some proper English terms.

sabrinakat likes this.
  16. Didactylos4

Had you asked this morning Lascarina I would have been able to include an unopened bag of sprouts
    But I managed to dispose of them

sabrinakat likes this.
  17. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I didn't buy much because we were dining at Son1's. We had a goose today but there's none left. I bought a tin (well, plastic box) of Roses, got some of those gold-wrapped things i can't remember the name of, but which Littlie1 enjoyed taking out of the box and restacking (she's never had chocolate so doesn't know they're sweets). Used the port doing Mulled Lamb last week, and duck in port and cranberries. The obligatory 60s drums of cheese footballs and cheeselets are safely stored in my tummy, so all that's left is the frozen lobster and the M&S seafood tray that Son2 and I are going to scoff tomorrow when everyone else is otherwise occupied.
    Then it's back to gruel.

sabrinakat likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We have a christmas pudding and half a ruddy turkey crown... sick of turkey... should be Byzantium...

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Am very pleased that I showed great restraint when shopping! A few unopened cheeses that won't go to waste, some salad stuff and a bit of veg. Frozen mini pies and pizzas and a frozen chocolate tart that will also come in handy. No wastage, at all. Even the half made trifle is going slowly and I mixed cold Xmas pudding with ice cream after tea, tonight.
    Bought a cauli but parboiled and froze it. Get me!
    Only thing is, someone bought us a hamper of biscuits and sweet things. Nooo! I've, literally, sat around for 3 days and stuffed myself with chocs, cheese and biscuits. I can SEE the weight that's gone on around my middle. The only exercise I've had was today when I put my Spotify dance music on as I tidied the kitchen.
    Is it over, yet?

Lascarina likes this.
  20. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Nuts. I just found a net of them that I'd forgotten I had, found the crackers and managed to get into a hazelnut, yum. I should have left it there because my attempt to crack a Brazil nut has resulted in an injury :(. Somehow I managed to get the fleshy bit of my palm that's just below my index finger in the joint part of the crackers as the nut gave way and the crackers closed all of the way.
    I hate nuts now.

rachelpaula008 and Lascarina like this.