1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would your Christmas message to the nation be?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I see that the news is full today with the Christmas messages that the various political leaders want to get across and no doubt on Friday, our good queen Liz will be reflecting back over the miserable year we've had and offer words of hope that there is a limit to how bad things will get in order to avert a revolution. Maybe she will be tempting us to just hang in there for another four years, when the chance will come to kick the Tories out of power again?

I can't think of an occasion in my life when I've heard a Christmas message of any kind that hit the spot with me. Cynicism is in my genes though and there ain't a lot I can do about it. That's not to say I don't find this a time to reflect back over this year and have hope that next year will improve.

Of course it will for some. They were saying in the news on Tuesday that in the coming year, rent increases will outstrip the cost of mortgages, so that'll be nice for some, won't it?

I don't have much of a Christmas message to offer other than say there are some things that might get you over the festive period. The test match starts on Boxing day, Charlie Brooker will be giving his annual, satirical wipe of the year on the 30th and Jools Holland will be tinkling the ivories once again on New Year's Eve, hopefully with a bit more boogie woogie than of late.

But how about you? Were you charged with offering a Christmas message to the nation, what would you be telling us?

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Eat, drink and be merry (in moderation obviously)
    Treat your fellow humans with respect and kindness
    Try to behave like sensible adults for at least a couple of days
    Merry Christmas

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Christmas is just one lovely day in the year, enjoy it as you will, remember its origins and those not able to share in the fun.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Carry On.

(It's too late to keep calm.)

foxtail3 likes this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

'Christmas is far better far away from the cold, wet depressing UK'

(Smugly written from a hot climate!)

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

From henceforth Christmas will be cancelled. This is a secular society and we shall instead institute a new holiday. It will be known (most imaginatively) as DECEMBER 25th and 26th with a side-dedication to Ebenezer Scrooge.

THAT IS ALL.

Didactylos4 and nomad like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Only 4 more days and you're back at work!

8. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Don't be afraid. Things work out.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Stay in Europe - ignore the tory loons/bigots

10. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Other places to live are available outside the south east of England.

If people in the south east of England don't know this, maybe the Queen could tell them tomorrow.

coffeekid likes this.
  11. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

If you're female I'll say "don't get pregnant by any means because you might end up in a stable".

If you're male I'll say "don't be taking any woman anywhere on a donkey".

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I suppose it depends how they work out though.

13. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Our NHS is one of the wonders of the Western World and once it has gone it can never be brought back. Thank your lucky stars and fight to keep it.

14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

My message? Treat others as you would like to be treated.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  15. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

JB Priestley saw it coming.

I'm not at all sure there's any point in a message to the nation. I think most people in it are individually completely selfish.

16. ninenotes

If you expect it to be that way, that's the way it will be.

17. ninenotes

Love and peace, man.

Play that funky music.

[​IMG]

18. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Sadly I don't think the me me me mentality is going to change any time soon.

19. ninenotes

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Or corporately, cynically capitalist and neo-liberalist, perhaps?
    The vast majority are just trying to make ends meet. But it does get harder, with each year. Thanks GEORGE, you kant.