1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you write..?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Jul 9, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I am currently writing reports and there is a child in my class who rarely focuses in lessons and spends more time worrying about what others are doing and bits of fluff on the floor rather than her own learning. She can be really cruel to other children - calls them names, hits and slaps them and spits at them. None of this will be news to mum but i'm trying to think of a way to say that she has not been particularly well behaved without just writing all negative things about her! I do want to hit home with it however and make the point that it has been noticed and needs to stop! Any thoughts?!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I am currently writing reports and there is a child in my class who rarely focuses in lessons and spends more time worrying about what others are doing and bits of fluff on the floor rather than her own learning. She can be really cruel to other children - calls them names, hits and slaps them and spits at them. None of this will be news to mum but i'm trying to think of a way to say that she has not been particularly well behaved without just writing all negative things about her! I do want to hit home with it however and make the point that it has been noticed and needs to stop! Any thoughts?!

3. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

When you come to writing it you need to be careful to make sure it doesn't sound like you have something personal against this child. My advice is to find the most positive way of phrasing each sentence without compromising on what you need to say. When describing behaviour try sentence starters like ....."x is still learning how to...." "x is discovering acceptable ways of..." "x's next step is to...." "I am looking forward to seeing x develop ways of ...." "x is still working of finding ways to ....." "x has made some progress towards......and I hope she will continue this progress next year."...."x's next challenge is to....".

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

This is what I was thinking, the academic stuff on her report is all positive and reports facts in relation to what she can do. It's the general comment i'm finding hard because I do like her but she really loses control easily and doesn't seem to care if she upsets or hurts a friend. I think i've sugar coated it because i've tried to be positive and am wondering if I do need to be a bit firmer about it!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

On one of mien I wrote something like:7
    When things don't feel fair to her, X can behave in a manner that is not kind to other children. I hope in KS2, she will learn to manage these situations without resorting to hurting others.

Something like that anyway.

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Ooh I like the KS2 part, that's gooood, I may have to borrow it! Reliably fab as always Minnie!