1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you think ?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ff392, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Sunscorch hasn't been having digs at all. Many 'people of faith' seem to take everthing as an attack. What some have been trying to say is that there is a place for religion and schools are not it.

'We will have to agree to disagree' - the usual response from somebody who doesn't actually have a leg to stand on.

Don't tell me what Christmas is to do with. It is to do with trees, food, December, decorations, snowmen and most of all Santa. Just because it didn't start out that way and you don't care about them doesn't make it so.

2. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

The "suggest this" was referring to your though that children should have had a choice in participating in the ceremony. I was pointing out that the OP never made this suggestion. I didn't say that the s/he had never mentioned children, simply that the idea of the children having a choice was not the OP's point - it was yours. Please read my posts more carefully before throwing around your accusations, particularly the accusation that I said someone was lying. You need to justify that accusation or retract it.

"Firstly" is an adverb. To which verb in your orginial sentence does it apply?

3. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Not an attack eh? As a teacher in a faith school, that's got me on the dole queue. Cheers.
    And easter is all about chocolate eggs and bunny wabbits. What an old softie.

4. WolfPaul

I'm amazed that you could possibly think that participation in the ashes ceremony on Ash Wednesday is "OTT" in a Catholic school. It's a standard event.

5. Is that not the response of someone who realises that the people on both sides of the argument have such strong opinions that neither one is likely to concede?

6. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Thank you Rolf33. Was not going to rise to that one. Turning the other cheek and all that religious rubbish.

7. It might be standard but I.ve spoken to others at different Catholic schools and it wasn't like the service we had , more low key .

8. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

It must have been one of them there happy clappers services. Shocking.

9. WolfPaul

In what way were the other services more "low key"?

10. Ur welcome. I'm thinking of starting a new school based on the teachings of Whitney Houston's 'Greatest Love of all' - "I believe that children are the future...." . Who's in?
    On second thoughts, that's indoctrination too....[​IMG]

11. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Make Milgod head then - we have to keep it real.

12. Milgod

As for the lying comment. I will consider retracting that as you seem to get your panties in a bunch over most things. It was something I felt was implied by your tone. If I read it wrong, then I apologise. You do get rather boring though. You come along and make comments but then side-step any actual debate. This seems to be a regular occurrence with you. I have always thought firstly was an acceptable term to use when sequencing things/ideas. I was ordering the points I was making. As I said, if you can point me in the direction of something showing me I'm wrong then I will adjust my ideas accordingly. I'm always trying to bone up on different language features and am happy to admit I make errors at times.

13. Milgod

Why was it an attack? Why would you be out of a job? Did i say chut all faith schools and don't open up any others? No, of course I didn't. You have, yet again, taken something as an attack against you. Made my point for me.

Easter is about chocolate eggs, bunnies but most importantly those little fluffy chicks that you can buy for about 20p. I can't get enough of them. What is wrong with me feeling that way?

14. Milgod

IMO that just shows you aren't that bothered. I will only say that if I don't care either way. If i really believe that my opinion is right then I will not concede. What is the point of having a strong opinion if you just agree to disagree?

15. By people having a choice , not being presented with a set of 6 inch nails for my class focus table.

16. WolfPaul

Do you not understand that when I originally posted the words "suggest this", I was answering YOUR point?
    I'd rather be boring than leap to conclusions and accuse posters of things they haven't done. May I suggest that you need to take more care in reading before you do so in future.
    I have already pointed you in the said direction, by asking you to consider to which verb in your original sentence "firstly" applies. The answer is that there is no such verb, so you used the word incorrectly.
    Of course, I would never respond to the implication that you taught your class to use the word incorrectly too... [​IMG]

17. Dagnabit's not conceding, that's the point. They're very 'bothered' but realise, 104 posts odd later, that the lady's/gentlemen's 'not for turning' and choose to end a discussion which may otherwise rage forever. If I were you I wouldn't go round saying you'll agree to disagree if you 'really don't care either way'...it sends the wrong message!

18. WolfPaul

I don't think having a choice makes the event "low key". The nails you speak of are interesting, but I don't see what that has to do with the debate about Ash Wednesday worship, and the choice of people to participate.

19. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Nails!!! Dearie me. I prefer to tell the kids He was stuck on the cross with blue tac. Much more fluffy.

20. Milgod

You did not, in any way, make it clear that you were referring to my point. You said in the OP's subsequent posts they never mentioned children. I told you they did, you made some comment (I'm not searching for it now) about how that was only their word - implying you didn't believe them.
    That is pretty clear that you were talking about the OP and not me at that point in time. The fact that you dismissed their comment mentioning children was why I said you called them a liar. Maybe you should be more clear and I wouldn't have to re-read.
    I have been led to believe that firstly could be used in sequencing ideas. I used it in such a way. To be honest I would usually not use that word with my class anyway. We would look at starting sentences with something like 'the first point i would like to make is . . . '