1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you think or do...?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by aclockworkorange, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Today I was on my way for my usual lunchtime run - a colleague asked me to assist with a situation - two 'hard' S3 boys were trying to get at a pair of S1 lads involved in some imbroglio and refused to leave. After they did leave, both my colleague and I were exposed to one of the boys shouting to us: I'm going to kill you motherf**** er, whilst the other mimicked the shape of a pistol under his shirt and gestured towards us - this is 'normal' behaviour in the corridors of our school - the first pupil may be excluded - the second will not be - I would think about contacting the police for the simulated gun scenario - I believe in many areas that would go without saying that the police would become involved or that something "stronger" would occur?

2. Both would be excluded.

3. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Think? This would probably breach the TES rules for posts.

Do? Different altogether ...

1. Complete a violent incident form. (Both teachers.) This is your "evidence trail".

2. Go straight to HT with your colleague as a witness. Hand over VI forms. Wait. 1 minute. The response should be ... "Thank you. I'll remove them from classes immediately and they will be excluded for X days as soon as I have contacted parents / carers".

3. If the above is not the response then here's the script ... "I am sorry you think so little of your duty of care to myself and my colleague. We will be contacting our union with a view to advice re a grievance procedure against your good self. Thank you."

No excuses. No "He's got issues". etc. If so, go back to stage 2 and repeat. Leave after one repetition and contact your union.

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Should have added also ... By all means go to the Police and report the incident. I would do this after giving the HT the oppo to deal appropriately with the pupils concerned.

5. Yes thanks for your concern - it is no joke - thanks for your thoughts ...