1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you think? HT PM

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by lga11, Sep 14, 2013.

1. I would just like to gauge feeling about the following please.

How would you feel about an ex HT who has previously been trained in PM and performed it for their staff and by default been part of their own HT PM, being part of your HT PM commitee? This person would NOT have received HT PM training regarding being part of the governor committee but has obviously had years of experience in this area as outlined above.

Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Sounds to me like you couldn't have anyone better fitted. My own experience as a head of having governors who had been "trained" on my PM committee was that a day's "training" didn't achieve a great deal!

3. I would have been delighted. At my most recent I had 3 governors, so puffed up with self importance and their perceived 'power' and a SIP who had been a head but not for at least 10 years. To have had someone who could have injected some realism into the process would have been very helpful.

4. I think they should be your advocate and very supportive of your role. Interesting as I am a governor too and also on the HT PM committee. I hope I try to support the HT as much as I can and speak up when perhaps a more 'lay person' doesn't understand what it's like so this sounds really positive for you.

5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I agree with everyone's post. Wondering why you are thinking otherwise?

6. Thanks for your responses.

I have to say it is not me who is thinking otherwise it is other govenrors who feel that anyone on the committee HAS to attend the training to participate in the review. I have had PM training in the past, both to complete PM with my staff team individually and have also been a recipient of PM as a HT and understand the process I hope. The HT in question is delighted to have someone with these skills and knowledge on the committee but it appears that attendance at LA training is a sticking point with other govenors who have now asked another governor who can attend training to take my place both on committee and at the review without any consultation. It is my understanding that this is incorrect and that only the governors as a whole can alter the population of committees once they have been arranged and minuted at FGB at the beginning of the year.

I know I should make a point but I certainly do not want to cause an issue for the HT who has enough to do without being dragged into pettiness with the GB. Just wanted to vent I suppose and see what other HT thought.

Thanks - I'll sort it out!

7. Could you check what your external adviser thinks?

8. It's my understanding that Iga11 is an ex-headteacher and is on the HTPM panel as external adviser, but may be wrong as she then could not be replaced with a governor. Confusing. [​IMG]

Edit: Or is she a governor of the school who is an ex-headteacher? In that case, I agree that consulting external adviser or LA might be an option.