1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you strike for?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by bigjimmy2, Sep 10, 2015.

1. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

2. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Restoration of pay and conditions for supply teachers.

Lowering the retirement age.

Restoration of ASN/EAL levels in schools.

3. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

[​IMG]

and reduction in workload (SQA stuff in particular)

But the majority of sheep, sorry teachers, in our profession are far too interested in sitting on their hands. They moan and groan about things they don't like, but in the end they bow meekly to management clicking their fingers. Until we develop a spine we're not getting any improvements.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

At the moment,I'd strike for proper discipline in schools but that's probably just my school!

5. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

I agree. Can't see us ever striking again, there just isn't the appetite out there, and the employers know it! Tempted to blame the union but we are the union. At the end of the day most teachers are 'happy' with what they've got and will put up with anything as long as they have a permanent job. Those that aren't happy vent their anger in the staffroom and an even smaller minority come on here for a rant (sad isn't it).

Anyway, back to the original question, what would I strike for? Easy - Workload, to be addressed not through Mickey Mouse SIPs (management will be quaking in their boots!) but through drastically reduced legally binding contact time. Yes I know it will never happen, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if it actually increases in the near future, but we can live in hope.

6. Liviboy

Liviboy Occasional commenter

I just wish the ballot was on industrial action - a few google searches reveal that teacher's were almost certainly going to be striking given the pay negotiations were going nowhere. They went no further and yet they have been accepted and balloted with a huge "ACCEPT" recommendation.

I don't want to have a pay rise which will in all actuality result in a take-home pay cut with the pension contribution bracket put somewhat strangely close to ensure any pay rise for point 6 of the scale would tip us over into paying an extra 1%.

It annoys me greatly as a relatively new teacher that my older colleagues had such a good pension (lump sum, final salary, etc.) and we are being shafted every which way (Pension age of 68, Career Average, no more 6.4% contributions, no lump sum...). Don't misunderstand, I have no issue with my colleagues having the pensions that they get...I'm annoyed at the fact that the new pension scheme was brought in with very little fight (a few marches here and there)...I don't think my same-age colleagues have any understanding of pensions or indeed any interest in them (it's just money that comes off each month...). Maybe if they knew more about them they might get out and fight to protect them!

7. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

We had union meetings last year when lots of people complained about workload and how stressed they were. Yet half a dozen of them, vocal last session, have just volunteered to help out with dinner duty. They feel they need to do it because the "pupils will suffer" if they don't.

I just don't understand what *** planet these people on or what makes them tick. What other profession would do extra work for free? Ever tried asking a lawyer to sign off your missives for nowt? Or for a plumber to fix your boiler for free (or for a £2.50 lunch)?

It's your own kids and family that suffer with the stresses your work is causing. You work to live, not the other way round and it's high time teachers started putting this as their priority. We are not slaves to councils.

8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Well said, effin.

9. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Gone are the days when our profession was respected.

Interesting conversation with Mr Jo after he read an article somewhere saying that if a plane crashes, killing lots of people (or maybe none), this is investigated (due to Black Box data) and airlines learn from the mistakes - admit they were at fault and improve. Doctors make mistakes and sadly people die (or are left with irreversible damage) and 99% of the time they get away with "mistake". The 1% who don't get away with it, is because someone (in this case the anaesthetist) spoke up that the surgeon had made an error of judgement - he stood his ground, refused to carry on unless the surgeon sorted out what he had omitted to do and patient lived.

This may seem a bit far fetched but the pressure we are under is almost unbearable. One night last week, I was thinking of the lady primary HT who committed suicide after HMI gave her school a poor report (10 years ago I think) I could totally understand the pressure she was under and felt so lucky I did not live alone (as this HT had done) as I was so miserable and depressed. Someone has to speak out and it's not as easy as saying we all have to refuse to do it. I don't know what the answer is but I'm planning early retirement next year, and really I'm too young to retire. Maybe a pay scheme reflecting each teacher's exam performance+success rate is the way to go - think about it - we try to maintain or improve good results by concentrating on our number one priority - the kids we teach. If we have to lose time (and in turn a bonus) by doing all the meaningless M+T, evaluating, changing from SGs to CfE , constantly trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place - we would very quickly tell HTs pressuring us that we were not doing meaningless extras as improving (and ensuring the bonus) was all we had time to do.

I'm really selfish and hoping that the grandchildren( we don't have yet!) will have a better deal than the poor guinea pig kids of today. It's so easy to criticise those who moan in the staffroom but are quiet at other times - at least they are moaning.

10. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Good luck with your early retirement, Jo.

It is sad when good teachers are effectively forced out when the actual job itself, ie teaching, still remains immensely enjoyable - it's the relentless testing and bureaucracy that grinds us down.

I was thinking of that HT too recently (really ten years ago?!) when another thread was started. My own school is plain awful and I've been getting a hard time of it recently, but I'm past caring what so-called "management" think of me - and this despite my recent SQA results being fantastic. Don't let the b u ggers get you down is my philosophy now.

Performance related pay will come in the future. It's difficult to do, sure, but it's been done elsewhere in my pre-teaching career and if they can do it there, it can be done with teaching. PU is an amateurish, pathetic first attempt at weeding out "bad" teachers that don't allegedly "keep up to date" with "recent teaching developments". You can expect performance related pay some time in the future, the only argument will be about when.

5-14 was OK but I suspect the same bureaucracy we currently have would have been bolted on to that under the label "improving the curriculum". At least with 5-14 you had solid, easily-understandable LOs to teach but with CfE we need to interpret woolly statements and hope we hit the target most of the time.

And, you're right again, Jo, it's the weans that suffer from this incompetent nonsense.

Gawd, what a load of jobbies I spout. I only came on here for break from marking and I'm throwing in my tuppence worth to all and sundry. Don't take me too seriously, I don't. Back to marking and medication . . .

11. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Good luck to the powers that be getting rid of 'bad' teachers... We can't get supply for love nor money and are two FT teachers down, long term, covering internally since start of term. Maybe if they paid us more...

12. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

I recently saw guidance from the EIS which had been passed to one of my colleagues considering early retirement. The "best consecutive 3 years in the last 10" calculation clearly demonstrated that my colleague should retire immediately because the highest pensionable salary year (2006/2007) was about to drop out of the calculation.

Looking at that calculation really drove it home to me how much our T&Cs have deteriorated. The point 6 salary was £31,008 in 2006. For pension purposes that figure is revalued for inflation. That 2006 salary is now worth £38,511 in 2015.

Compare that to the £34,887 we are currently earning at point 6.

We were earning 10% more back then.

Our unions clearly have these figures. Maybe I've missed it but they should be shouting this from the rooftops. With workload issues, bureaucracy, 1.5% & 1.0% pay rises in the pipeline, and a new pension scheme with a retirement age of 67/68 introduced with barely a whimper...surely even the most suppine of our colleagues could be encouraged to fight for better T&Cs.

13. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

If we wouldn't strike in 2011 with an election coming up, we will never strike. Every teacher body, GTCS and EIS is sewn up like a kipper by Cosla and ScotGov and they know it.

14. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

Possibly...but look what's happened since 2011:

1) Wage freezes and/or derisory 1% increases.

2) Pension scheme changed. Increased contributions combined with a later retirement age. For many teachers in their 30s/40s it has increased from 60 to 68!

3) The workload / bureaucracy of CfE has snowballed.

4) Secondary colleagues are at their wits end after implementation of new SQA exams. The continued replacement of PTs/Department heads with Faculty Heads is leading to operational difficulties and frustration.

5) In 2011 there was a surplus of teachers. Now we have a real supply problem.

There are Scottish elections in the pipeline and the SNP administration is finally coming under scrutiny for their handling of Education and the NHS in particular.

With inspirational leadership and the correct message I'm convinced we could muster support for a fightback. We may have reached a tipping point.

15. partickz

partickz New commenter

We are in year 3 of being in a faculty. The conserved PT for my subject retired after year 1 and the Faculty Head became a DHT after year 2. We have a new FH and she is sinking.

I have had to say no to three or four things she has tried to dump on me, as the teachers in my subject are just out of their probation year she tried me first but I am busy enough with my PT Pupil Support remit. She has now dumped stuff on the two new teachers. They are coming to me for advice and as cruel as this may sound, I have been very careful in making sure my advice has not turned into helping them do the FH job for her.

This has caused some tension between myself and the FH and myself and the two new teachers. I have tried to warn them that there will come a point when they have to say no. The FH and I had words last week. I never thought I would be like this as a teacher. But I need to protect myself from sinking.

16. inthered

Seriously, pay teachers more. There's a supply crisis in the North, so radio Scotland was telling me at length while I was stuck in traffic today, and Angela whatshername and the council people who were all meeting about the crisis were very careful not to suggest paying people more, apart from very short term (golden hello, free accommodation for 6 months, etc). If they actually want good people who work hard and have the respect of the general populace, teachers have to be paid more. Simple.

17. inthered