1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you spend your free five hundred quid on?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Jul 5, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...for-all-uk-adults-to-spend-in-covid-hit-firms

"Radical plans to give all adults £500 and children £250 in vouchers to spend in sectors of the economy worst hit by the Covid-19 crisis are being considered by the Treasury.

The proposals, drawn up by the Resolution Foundation thinktank, which has had recent talks with the Treasury about its ideas, are aimed at kickstarting economic recovery by triggering a highly targeted surge in spending. Under the plans the vouchers could only be spent in certain sectors, such as hospitality and “face to face” retail, as opposed to online."

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Stockpiling for the family ahead of the end of year Brexit departure (end of transition period).

3. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Hmmm. Where does the money come from?
    If the central bank can just create it, how does it retain its value?
    If it retains its value, who has to pay it back?

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Waste of money...hospitality will probably = booze. Not a good thing. Give the money direct to the areas that need support.
    Where is all this promised money coming from?

Kandahar likes this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I read that and did not understand how it could be done. There are many people off the radar surely. My daughter and family would get £1750? What about those Channel Five families with twenty odd kids? Will they get five grand plus? Where would it be spendable, the article was unclear? If its only certain retailers, what about people who live in the outer hebrides or Shetlands?

Pomza and ajrowing like this.
  6. gainly

gainly Star commenter

They are planning to give "the great British public" £30 billion to spend at the pub. I think they also need to increase the budget for the NHS and the police by £30 billion to deal with the consequences.

7. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

So long as we can spend it at the co-op most of us in the Hebrides will do fine, thanks. Also, most folk in the Outer Hebrides can get to Stornoway (80% live on Lewis and Harris) which has a decent range of shops. Orkney and Shetland folk can get to Kirkwall or Lerwick respectively. Plus, the article says we'll have a year to spend it. Do you not think most folk in the isles can recognise a free trip to Costco when they see one?

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

"The proposals, drawn up by the Resolution Foundation thinktank, which has had recent talks with the Treasury about its ideas"
    Out of the box thinking but the Treasury is incapable of making it happen, so it won't.
    They being no one in government.

Kandahar and colpee like this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Your daughter will bounce down the shops all happy with £1750 in vouchers to spend at certain stores only, then find everything there is priced at least £1750.

Same with any VAT reduction - the retailer will just take the money, prices will not fall.

Pomza and Kandahar like this.
  10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I think single people living alone who have suffered more socially should be given £500 to be spent on dating.

Catgirl1964 and Lalad like this.
  11. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

If the government were to give the money direct, they'd need to ensure that they were at least seen to be giving it to areas which really are priority and which really do need support. I have a hunch that these aren't necessarily the areas the government would prefer to support.

Giving the money to the publoc to spend where they want is, once again, shirking responsibilty and shifting the blame.

Johnson is a coward.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I seriously doubt this will happen.

13. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

I’m guessing it would involve vouchers for restaurants and pubs, places where people congregate together thereby increasing the odds of there being a second wave of Covid.

Catgirl1964 and phlogiston like this.
  14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Have I died and gone to heaven, oh to be alive in such an age!

Pomza and colpee like this.
  15. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

I do hope that I am allowed to spend it on the excellent eye testing service that is apparently available in Barnard Castle.

16. gainly

gainly Star commenter

That's not per person!

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I'm single and live alone....I could easily spend £500, but I wouldn't choose to spend it on dating! ;):D

18. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I think the point is to help the retailers so if you're right it will be working as planned. I don't actually believe it will happen.

dumpty likes this.
  19. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

I would have thought it more likely that if spent in the hospitality sector, most people would see it as a free short holiday in a nice hotel. If we did it, there's be a grand to spend and ironically it would be the only time in our marriage we ever went Dutch.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  20. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

Not sure it will be as much as £500
    Total cost would be £30 billion
    What would be considered as a successful outcome if they do it?