1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you say?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ladykaza, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I've gone for 'personal' rather than 'workplace dilemas' as I have dealt with this one, but thought I would share with the group.

Following a pointless HT meeting today I returned to school to a sulking TA, ridiculous meeting with parents, interfering governor and bad news about the budget. Nothing done, so have had to stay on late - not planned - just to catch up.

After school our current student teacher asked to talk to me. She is struggling with the whole work/life balance thing and asked me whether it gets better, is it worth it, does it affect your health, should she carry on or leave and do something else?

So what would you say to her?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

From what I've read here? From what I know of teaching having been a teacher from 1980 to 2013?

Leave!

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

If your student teacher can carry on long enough to get qualified, she will have a qualification thst can come in useful even if she does not remain in teaching. There are other places that need teachers besides schools and as a last resort she could do supply after she qualifies until she decides what else to do. I know people who have worked as supply teachers to fund their further studies.

I used to work for my husband, but when his business had a downturn 6 years ago in the recession I was able to keep us afloat by working as a supply teacher and I was almost 50. It was because I had experience long ago that I got my foot back in the door. Being able to teach is something to fall back on, so Imwould encourage your student to try to get through just to have the qualification even if she uses it later.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sorry to sound flippant... but leave.

Someone of workplace dilemmas says teaching is stopping them starting a family. That is how sick the system has got. Giving up whole evenings to engage in insane marking policies put together by no-nothing wonks in airconned offices. Just escape while you can.

5. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

I would advise her to get the qualification and then explore different areas. With her qualification she could travel if she wished and see some of the world. Her earning 'power' would benefit too. I know teachers are much maligned, but a lot of people in the real world still respect the profession.

Yoda- likes this.
  6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I would tell her that this is what it'll be like but to stick it out until she qualifies and then decide whether to stay in the job or find something else. As Pepper says, it's never wasted.

ScotSEN and Yoda- like this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

8. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I would say leave. I have flirted with the idea of leaving for the last couple of years (been teaching nearly a decade) but never quite managed it. The main problem I have is that I'd have to take quite a drastic pay cut and, as the main breadwinner by a long way, don't feel I can do that. At least not yet. I do keep an eye on possibilities, though, just in case something comes up that pays me something vaguely close to what I earn now. It kind of makes me wish I hadn't got into teaching in the first place.

9. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I said much the same as many of you. Tried to be honest but not scare the pants off her! Advised her it would be hard, but to see her course and NQT year through and re-evaluate.

Not sure she has the resilience bless her, but what can you do?

ScotSEN, Dunteachin and Yoda- like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes, complete the NQT first. Then leave. Sorry, should have made that clear.

ScotSEN likes this.