1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you like to be called?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by legoearth, Feb 25, 2012.

1. When I first started my job our Headteacher called us SENapps (Special Education Needs Assistants Pupils and Play) think this is what it stood for, we were employed for 1:1 working. There were also TA's who were all Teachers Assistants. When she left the new head said it's not a recognised name and wanted all of us to be called LSA's as we were all part of the same team. TA's objected and wanted to keep it as TAs, however it now stands for Teaching Assistants. I think the only time a teacher in our school would refer to a TA as "the dreaded 'helper'" is if they really were a waste of space and as far as I know no-one has ever been called this, at least not out loud.

2. I work in a catholic primary and ALL the staf are refered to as Sir or Miss regardless of whether they are a TA, Teacher, Midday Assistant etc.
    It gives the children the view that everyone is to respected equally, if they are an adult, plus it doesnt make us feel less important.