1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you like the future to sound like?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Just when you thought the roads might get quieter, legislation has been introduced that requires electric vehicles to emit sounds when they are traveling at low speed. This legislation comes into force next year.

Car makers have spent years in their laboratories trialing various sounds, some of which can be found on YouTube. Audi appears to have adopted an electronic noise not dissimilar to that of petrol cars, but Jaguar have come up with a noise that sounds like movie makers imagine an alien spaceship sounds like when landing.

I imagine it will be just a matter of time before all manner of inane sounds can be downloaded, as happened with mobile phones.

Maybe someone will design a noise similar to screeching tyres, overlaid with "Get out of the f-ing way!" to appeal to SUV drivers.

If you were given a choice of sound for your electric car, what would you opt for?

2. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Fart noises. (Flatulence if the swear filter is too prudish) Always funny.

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

:D:D:D

I was thinking Chopin :oops: ... but I'd only read the thread title.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'd like one that sounded like a steam train with lots of laboured chuffing on start up and a rhythmic diddly-dee-diddly-da at cruising speed.

Jamvic, racroesus, kibosh and 6 others like this.
  5. Duke of York

I wouldn't mind the first 30 seconds of this on a loop.

needabreak likes this.
  6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

If I just had a guitar and a big amp there wouldn't be anyone taking my girl away. I know what I'll do! I'll put an ad in the paper and get some other guys who want to play music. We wouldn't be playing any of that surf music. We're gonna play heavy music. I know what it'll sound like. It'll sound like, it'll sound like:

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Mine would sound like an ice cream van just because I'm fed up with everyone always looking grumpy.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Got in a lift once in a gallery and it did this

Went up and down three times.
    Perhaps we could have someone making brmm brmm noises

kibosh and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Can we also have legislation to lower light levels, restrict the use of high power flashing lights and prohibit anything that might be mistaken for emergency services ( mainly blue shop signs ). We need to be able to see things but not be blinded by a million lumen flashing light on a motorway maintenance lorry..

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I’d like the M25 to sound like this:

Duke of York likes this.
  11. Duke of York

It sometimes does if you get stuck behind a cattle truck. Interestingly, while I was looking for the video in the OP, I came across another, which was called something like muscle car sounds and was about people who fit sound generators into "Muscle Cars". Muscle cars are apparently high powered gas guzzlers that their owners wish to sound like they came out of Smokey and the Bandit or the Dukes of Hazard. The thing is though, the noise the sound generator makes, gets played inside the car and the cars are relatively quiet on the outside.

Honestly, the toys you can invent to part a fool from his money...

colpee likes this.
  12. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Whoosh! Beep! Kapow! Pop!

kibosh and colpee like this.
  13. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Never mind the lorries what about the blinding car headlights and those people who drive with every single light on that their car has.

14. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

A squeeky bike!

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Loud rap music with a phat bass beat. Oh no, hang on, that's already been done hasn't it?

I can't help thinking that electric BMWs would make no noise at all, given their well-established track record with indicators.

Duke of York likes this.
  16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'd like a guarantee that a future day will sound just as it does today: birds chirping, bees buzzing, people going about their daily lives.

lanokia likes this.
  17. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Well you could have a classical soundtrack such as:

or a more alarming one such as (near end)

At least one type of photocopier uses this one.

Or you go really old school with the Roadrunner:

Beep, beep!:)

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I want the future to sound like this...

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The sound of robot overlords and jetpacks blasting to the sky.

kibosh and artboyusa like this.
  20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Like the "vehicle reversing" voice of trucks and buses, how about "smug electric car owner approaching" being announced repeatedly.

RepelloInimicum likes this.