1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you have placed in your coffin to bemuse future archaeologists?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I was listening again today, to some of the episodes from A History of the World in 100 Objects and was intriged by how the British Museum had identified the intended purpose of some of them. It isn't implausibe they are what they are claimed to be, but they differ so much from the implements we'd recognise as serving the same purpose today, that it isn't intuitive that they got it right.

Quite a number of these items were found at burial sites or in places such as the pyramids, suggesting they were placed there to serve a purpose in the afterlife. Let me scrub that last part, since it's nothing more than the interpretation made of their presence by the archaeologists who found them. How do we know it wasn't just a wind up by our ancestors to get supposedly learned people scratching their heads?

I'm tempted to use my manufacturing skills to make something to go in my coffin, that is so well made, that future archaeologists would be certain it served a purpose, which it never would, but was so well-made and replete with mysterious graduations engraved in the surface, that would keep them puzzled over whatever it was, for as long as it to work out what was etched into the Rosetta Stone.

Out of interest, I watched a video last week about an archaeological find that completely upturned the accepted belief that syphillis was brought to Europe by Columbus from the Americas. The find unearthed bones found at the site of a monastery and buried in the 1200s that had the unmistakeable signs that whoever they originally belonged to was riddled with syphillis. Other bones have been found at Pompei that have the same characteristics.

Future archaeologists may conclude that nobody in England who died in 2020+ could possibly know how to make anything, so whatever the thing buried with me is, must have been made in China, so that's where there search will take them.

How about you? Is there something you can think of that tells something about your life, that passes a message on to future generations about you, if you had it buried alongside you?

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Ryanair flight booking.

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter