1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you have done? Little car bump...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cheesypop, Jan 25, 2020.

1. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

So. Just asking for viewpoints.
    Yesterday I was at a petrol station and as I pulled out, I scuffed the side of the car in front of me. Totally my fault, I misjudged it. The bloke wasn’t even in the car, he was in the station paying. He saw what had happened and came out. I apologised immediately- I know you are not supposed to admit liability but it was blindingly obviously my fault - his car was parked! He took photos of our cars with mine just touching his - which was all it was - then I pulled off to one side (this was my idea, I wanted us both to see the damage after i had pulled away because I assumed that as I pulled away it would damage it further). I then got out again so we could exchange details, as we agreed.
    However, once I had pulled off and gone back he said that it was fine, it was nothing that wouldn’t buff out. My car is a distinctive colour and I couldn’t see any of that colour paint on his car. I checked lots of times that he was sure, that he wasn’t just being nice because I was female but he said no it was fine. We shook hands without exchanging details and I drove off.
    My car had scraping along the side which has buffed out fine, a little dent and three scratches which will need touching up. I’m sorting these out myself.
    My question is, should we have exchanged details anyway? Obviously I would prefer it if he doesn’t go through the insurance, although he has a photo with my registration on so if he wants to he can and if he does, fine - he hadn’t done anything wrong. But is there anything else I should have done?

emerald52 likes this.
  2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Can’t see what else you could have done. If he’s happy not to claim from your insurance then that’s his decision.

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I wouldn't worry about it. You have both decided there was no actual damage so nothing to report. If the chap changes his mind and an insurer contacts you, don't discuss any detail with them, just pass it on to your own insurer.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Don't worry about it.

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I've been in exactly the same situation and it does feel a little strange, but if the other person is sure they don't want to do anything then there's really nothing else to be done.

grumpydogwoman, Jamvic and cheesypop like this.
  6. BreakEven

BreakEven New commenter

I've heard similar stories before and aslong as you have stopped and spoke to each other, then that sounds fine. You both have agreed imo.

The only issue is if he tried later on to make out that you didn't stop but this is unlikely as you normally have a time to 'report' it to insurers anyway, so if he later did decide to chase it up, he would be asked why he didn't report it earlier.

grumpydogwoman, Jamvic and cheesypop like this.
  7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Last summer my neighbour knocked at my door. He's eighty-seven and he looked worried. He told me he'd hit my car while pulling out from the kerb. I went and had a quick look. His car is black and my car is black. There was hardly any scrape at all. I asked him if he was alright with his car and if he was alright himself. Yes, yes. Then go and have a cup of tea I said. Don't worry about it. It's just a car. People are more important. I wouldn't want him worried. He had the decency to tell me and that was enough.

bevdex, caress, HelenREMfan and 4 others like this.
  8. cheesypop

yeah I did wonder about that but he has pictures of our cars together so it would be hard to say I drove off, plus everyone in the petrol station saw so I would go back and ask the staff because if I’d have driven off the sensible thing would be for him to ask for the cctv!

If his car is more damaged than he thought then it’s fine if he contacts his insurers, he doesn’t deserve to be out of pocket it was my fault. I suppose I was worried that I would be in trouble if he reported it and I didn’t; but I don’t have any details for him not even his reg number and I’m not about to tell my insurance that i might’ve done something wrong - they’d put my premiums up anyway!!

Jamvic likes this.
  9. BreakEven

BreakEven New commenter

The problem with the CCTV thing may be that they normally deleted after 30 days - so they may not have access to it after this time.

In addition, there would be an issue if he did report and you didn't as many insurance within their terms and conditions do say you have to notify them of any accidents you have within 24 hours - regardless if a claim is to be made. If the insurer did find out later on, then the implications can be worse. But then again, the same would go for him. Personally, it sounded like you both agreed.

See if you hear anything in the next few weeks and take it from there, if you don't, then it's likely nothing will come out of it (even though it's hard to say).

Jamvic likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Top tip for the future...

Collect the business cards of those people who have made your life a misery.

If you prang another car in a car park, select a card, write "Sorry. Please call me" on the card and leave it under the windscreen wiper of the other car.

:rolleyes:

bevdex, caress, emerald52 and 2 others like this.
  11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Evil, pure comedic evil. :D

bevdex and nomad like this.
  12. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Even if he didn't need to claim from his insurers, even the mere act of him reporting it to them will in all likelihood increase his premium, as "being involved in any type of accident, even if totally not your fault, immediately makes you more likely to be involved in future prangs". According to insurers anyway.

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You shook hands. He sounds a decent cove. He's not going to change his mind. You weren't rushed. You both did the right thing. Discussed it. Came to a mutually agreeable decision. Nobody wants to involve the insurer if they can possibly help it.

emerald52 and Jamvic like this.
  14. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Insurance is a right palaver. You can get higher premiums just from claiming on someone else's insurance. If it was minor and nothing a little t cut wouldn’t solve I’d do the same, including not swapping details.

15. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

I did the same many years ago in a parking space outside M&S and I was mortified and utterly embarrassed. I wanted the road to swallow me up. I waited until the other car driver appeared and blurted out what had happened and he was so nice. He too told me it was fine, it was only a scuff and it would buff out. It took me ages to get over it and I was so grateful to him for being so nice .................

Another time when I was mortified was when I set the handbrake on my husband's automatic and got out to get a sandwich from the shop during my lunch break. The car was in a small car park on a slope and without my knowing or seeing, had rolled back into the car parked behind - and presumably been stopped from rolling onto the open main road. Exactly the same thing happened with the owner when he reappeared. He said it would buff out and left it at that. When I got home after school finished my husband told me........... "oh, yeah, the handbrake is loose........... I refrained from crowning him.

emerald52 likes this.
  16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've had various scuffs over the years. My brother-in-law is a mechanic and he rubs all the scuffs out for nothing. If I get an apology I don't bother asking for details. The slightest arsiness though...

17. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Did you take any photos yoursel?

18. cheesypop

no I didn’t. I probably should have.

hopefully he is as decent as he seemed. I’m glad I didn’t try to play games. It was totally my fault and I think it’s right to say sorry when you are.

19. cheesypop

Just an update...:

it’s been 2 weeks. I’ve heard nothing from his insurance so am assuming he has been true to his word and not contacted them. Feeling very relieved, and will pay more attention at petrol stations in future.

There are good people out there.

strawbs, bevdex and nomad like this.
  20. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

Similar thing happened to me. Parked in a car park, opened the door to get out and noticed my seat belt hadn't retracted properly. I stupidly let go of the door to sort the seat belt and the car door flew open into the car next to me. Their door was dented and a small patch of paint had come off. I left a note with all of my details under their windscreen wiper but still haven't heard anything after about 5 weeks.