1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you expect ....

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by msfab, Feb 24, 2011.

1. banter at beginning of lesson, all calm then fight errupts, manage to remove one student from room... all calm no visit from SMT... then one kid errupts screaming throwing chairs, smashing the door as going out, smashing up room, smashes up outside the room, runs off premises -another student finds member of SMT 5 mins later who is not happy to come out and try to calm situation. What 'punishment' or consequence would you expect to be given to this child?

2. banter at beginning of lesson, all calm then fight errupts, manage to remove one student from room... all calm no visit from SMT... then one kid errupts screaming throwing chairs, smashing the door as going out, smashing up room, smashes up outside the room, runs off premises -another student finds member of SMT 5 mins later who is not happy to come out and try to calm situation. What 'punishment' or consequence would you expect to be given to this child?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I suppose it depends what you mean by 'smashing up'. And of course their previous history and what had been done before and also why they did it.

And of course the age of the child.

4. 'smashing up' means breaking glass in door window, kicking holes in wall, destroying outside fence... child is 14 years old... the child involved said he 'felt angry' when I questioned him the next day... recently been involved in fighting and has broken two classroom windows

5. <font size="2">Permanent exclusion at the least I would say at my school.</font>
    <font size="2">What's happened?</font>

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd definitely want to know what on earth is going on that means he has been fighting recently and felt so very angry that he did such a thing. That would dictate how severely he was dealt with.

Hence there is no way I'd want to see permanent exclusion. No-one was injured or assaulted and he doesn't appear to have a long history of damaging school property. Definitely exclusion though. Internal/external/length of time dependent on reasons for the behaviour and the remorse shown.

But then of course, I'd be the perfect HT and run a perfect school and always deal with everything in a perfect manner.

Reality is...No flippin idea!

7. Er...maybe launch an investigation into the OP's lesson plan, to find out why it wasn't interesting enough to stop this student from misbehaving.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL I read that thread too!

Yeps must be the lesson plan...that'll be it. LOL

9. nice one eclipse but as it was a Controlled Assessment of high level control ie silent exam conditions bit tricky to make that interesting - the kid was rocking and tapping and then flipped...
    and nothing has happened to him at all, just turned up to next lesson as normal. I am now down two chairs and a desk that he broke as well as damaged classroom door.
    hoping something might have been sorted over half term but not expecting it

10. There is a number of things that could have caused this behaviour aside from poor lesson planning.
    1. Some form of undiagnosed special need - he may actually be blind and unable to do the assessment.
    2. Perhaps you have not forged a productive, professional relationship with him - did you ask him what he was getting upto over half term instead of insisting he get on with some work?
    3. Did you have an engaging individualised, open ended starter activity on the board that the children can get on with in groups straight away?
    4. Perhaps you are too focused on punishments rather than rewards - ignore the flipping tables and praise anything he does well - when he respires give him a sticker as he is doing what you expect him to.
    5. Perhaps you were not teaching him properly before the assessment. Are you using learning styles - if VAK isn't working perhaps he learns in a musical way?
    6. He may be poor and we all know a lack of money causes poor behavior.
    7. In future give him a special responsibility and do lots of group work - that'll calm his rage.
    8. If it doesn't you may have to think about your own personality, what is it about you that forced that innocent saint to flip over a table.
    9. Finally and above all else....does he know his target grade?
    I was trying to be sarcastic here but on reflection I've pretty much heard all of the above said by at least one of the SMT's I've worked for over the years.

11. Actually I manage and lead a team that gives INSETS on making controlled assessments interesting to improve behaviour (&pound;500 a session) so let me know if you want to book it. You can at least take heart from the fact that the school's response is preparing him for the real world. Last week I smashed up my local cinema. When the case comes to court I assume I'll be aquitted because The Black Swan just wasn't interesting enough to keep my attention.

12. lol ... don't you just love the way in which SMTs throughout the UK seem to have lost touch with reality. Along with the fact that as classroom teachers our opinion is totally disqualified from being allowed to be heard. Expecting the kid to be back in school and my room again next week - perhaps he could take up a metal work post to repair the chairs and desks?

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would be having a chat with him to ask what he intends to do about the damage. Well assuming a good relationship with said pupil, I would. I'd also be letting him know how upset I was by his behaviour. OK he'll probably nick you a chair from someone else's class, but hey ho...at least he wants to make amends to you.

And I'd be applying for jobs in a different school...any other school!

14. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Love it!