1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you expect from a UP3 teacher compared to a pre-threshold teacher?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by BrainJim, Jan 25, 2011.

1. What to expect from a UPS3 teacher - the same as you'd expect from a UPS1 teacher.

2. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass New commenter

Differential has to be a factor surely. I earn less than £50 a month as Acting DH in comparison to my usual post of EY/KS1 Leader (UP3 plus TLR) & SLT member
    As DH workload is greater, defo more stress esp if Head goes off sick, slightly longer hours with Gov mtgs etc, same school........is it worth it? (L6) Thing is our usual DH (now Acting HT) is paid at a higher level (around L10) so it would be were I paid at the same as existing DH
    Stepping back next month (was temp arrangement) but pay scales will need to make a significant difference to my take home pay before I consider doing it on a more permanent basis unless I moved schools where the pay was going to be higher.
    Why should UP3 staff be prepared to take on a more senior role for almost the same pay - you wouldn't get people accepting that kind of pay increase in industry, it's not worth the hassle!

3. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Why should UP3 staff be prepared to take on a more senior role for
    almost the same pay - you wouldn't get people accepting that kind of pay
    increase in industry, it's not worth the hassle.

Exactly.
    That is the point.
    It is not the fault of the teachers on Upper pay scale that SLT feel this.
    Many years ago salary advice slips adopted the system of itemising each allowance. It was easy to see just how little extra the TLR was really worth.