1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you expect from a UP3 teacher compared to a pre-threshold teacher?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by BrainJim, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Clearly if the teacher has decided to stay in the classroom and use their expertise there what should a head expect. Should the teacher be performance-managed against higher standards.

2. Clearly if the teacher has decided to stay in the classroom and use their expertise there what should a head expect. Should the teacher be performance-managed against higher standards.

3. What about you Brain Jim - what would you expect....

4. Considerably more they are being paid considerably more and have written they can do this and do that in their threshold forms

5. Agree totally - the problem can be establishing the perameters.... especially with teachers who clockwatch!

6. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

If parameters are to be set at least learn how to spell and where do you get such parameters?
    For what it is worth, too many HT's worry far too much about teachers on U scale. So what if they just stay on U scale and not have additional responsibilities.
    Is that not what the upper pay scale is for?
    When I was on leadership I cringed when the HT was demanding additional work from U scale staff.
    HT's do not set pay and conditions.
    They are not god.

7. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Totally agree mrkeys- I know many UPS teachers who give much more to a school than they take in terms of hidden support to younger/less experienced colleagues getting them through the day/term, planning, teaching suggestions and moral support etc. and diffusing and dealing with day to day classroom specific issues at grass roots level before SMT are even aware of them. Also, some HT's seem to interpret UPS as waving goodbye to any CPD opportunities- you are not on Leadership team/spine therefore are not considered for those and as you've been doing the job in the class for a while, you don't need to go on any courses about that either.

8. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

The expectations for Post threshold are laid out in the professional standards and are quite clear, I think,addressing the issues raided above.

9. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

or -raised- even!

10. Precisely. As set down in post threshold standards which you might expect UPS3 to fully and consistently meet. If they have a TLR on top, well that's a different matter.

11. Yes, and if all not met over a two year period it's time to start capability...................These highly skilled teachers are paid to achieve at this level, it would be an insult to their abilities to do anything but root out those who drag the title UPS through the mud of underperformance.[​IMG]

12. oh dear!
    ( on behalf of all the UPS teachers)

13. Wind your neck in!!!!
    First of all apologies for the spelling mistake - I am not God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't like your attitude - if a teacher is UPS obviously s/he should have additional responsibilities.

14. MR KEYS!!!

15. If a set of teachers move up to UP3 and they are good but not necessarily outstanding they have no incentive to leave leaving a blouted staffing structure. Lets not forget that the differential between UP3 and leadership scale can be very low. UP3= money, not particularly outstanding and little responsiblity. Money for old rope. Experience does not equal quality.

PS does anyone's governors interview/question UP appliers?

16. mrkeys

Oh dear.
    Perhaps we are moving to a situation where all staff, and I mean ALL staff, only have 5 year contracts and then must leave.

17. this is what is happening in some Acadamies.

so teachers who CHOOSE to teach & not manage have to become performing seals. They are not entitled to earn extra ( or be paid money for old rope as someone deligtfully called it)
    oh dear - shakes head, mutters and lays a wreath at the grave of professionalism.

18. I get sick of hearing about UP3 etc.. deciding not to go 'into management but stay in the classroom' please remember that deputies do both and yet the differential can be very small indeed

19. mrkeys

So what really matters to you most then is the pay differential.

20. I get sick of hearing about UP3 etc.. deciding not to go 'into management but stay in the classroom' please remember that deputies do both and yet the differential can be very small indeed
    as I said before the key word is CHOICE. Deputies have made their choice - but don't get the hassle.
    I have worked in 5 schools and in each there has been a non-teaching deputy or a deputy with .5 responsibilty.
    i am happy with my choice - some people who are sick of hearing don't sound that content.