1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by funkymonkey, Aug 20, 2020.

  1. funkymonkey

    funkymonkey New commenter

    I have a new job. But....the head has resigned. The director has resigned, they are the 6th in 6 years. Got an email saying that our salary will be cut by 30% while on line teaching. No one knows when the school will open. I think I know the answer already, this looks like a bad idea. I have money to tide me over for many months so financially not really an issue. It's not even in the middle east. Would you run a country mile from this job or see what happens?
  2. mightyb

    mightyb New commenter

    It doesn't sound good and I would definitely be concerned. Whether I gave it a chance or not would depend on my circumstances - whether I could stay in my old job, what my other job options might be, if I had children who were due to attend the school and if the salary was high enough that a 30% cut would be temporarily affordable. Good luck with your decision.
  3. motorhomer

    motorhomer New commenter

    Sorry that you're experiencing this funkymonkey but I guess at least you still have a contract, that's something.

    Are you already in the country? Is there any possibility that you can remain at or return to your last school? Maybe they've had teachers who have had to withdraw...

    With regards to the online teaching at your new school, what does their online teaching look like? Have they already been teaching online? Is it demanding? Would a 30% salary decrease reflect a 30% decrease in workload? Is the area safe enough for you to enjoy the free time that a 30% reduction in workload would bring? Do you even have to be in the country while teaching online? Could you earn well from tutoring if your workload is 30% reduced?
  4. kemevez

    kemevez Occasional commenter

    Are you in country, or are you teaching online from elsewhere? If the latter, I would be looking for jobs where I am or where I can easily get to. This should be your primary concern this year.

    The pay cut? 30% is crazy. No fee paying school anywhere (for profit or not for profit) needs to do this. 5-10% discounts to parents for lack of facilities with those discounts passed on to teachers' salaries are just about acceptable (but still in poor taste given the actual or potential profits made by international schools) and are happening at some "decent" schools. 30%? Get out before you get in.
  5. funkymonkey

    funkymonkey New commenter

    I am not in the country as of yet. I think they are taking the Micheal. As said I have plenty of money saved. No debts, no children. I can get by for a year or so. For me its about the fact that if they are taking liberties already, and I go there, I am worried they will take more. I don't have the option of working where I am now, all vacancies are filled.
  6. rouxx

    rouxx Lead commenter

    I’d focus on getting a better job then, particularly if you can stay where you are or easily move somewhere. Under normal circumstances I would never say leave them in the lurch, but ...

    Look into tutoring where you are. Work on getting your name known and investigate what might be available in your location.
  7. install

    install Star commenter

    Run and keep running. One alarm bell going off is bad enough, but several going off at the same time means it’s a sinking ship. And I bet there are no life jackets or life boats.
    suem75 and funkymonkey like this.
  8. Mitochondria1

    Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

    Tell them you will do it remotely until the school opens, then go somewhere nice, cheap and by the beach and pocket that salary.
    Mr robinson likes this.

    ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

    Run. Set yourself a deadline for finding something different. You've already figured that they will take advantage and your brain is telling you loud and clear. Listen to it !
  10. norwichred

    norwichred Occasional commenter

    in Kuwait the ministry has ordered all private fee paying schools to cut their fees by 20%. Most have passed that on In a wages cut but ours hasn’t..........yet.
  11. kemevez

    kemevez Occasional commenter

    If I trusted that I would take it. You'd never catch me in Kuwait though but that's another story.
  12. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    Definitely some red flags there. While you're looking for something else, is it worth doing the online teaching for 70% of the salary ?
  13. funkymonkey

    funkymonkey New commenter

    To be honest with you, the thing that bothers me with being told that the wages are being cut, is there is no discussion. If I accept it then what is the next stunt they are going to pull? once in country it seems easier to put up with the **** for the contract length than say enough is enough.
    I would not have accepted the job on the salary offered at 30% less and they are already paying less than other schools as it is by at least 15%. I am lucky that I have money in the bank to last a whole year if need be so I don t need to bend over for these people.
  14. motorhomer

    motorhomer New commenter

    When did you get the job? It would be interesting to know if this was a recent application & whether they knew when they made the offer that they would be reducing it by 30% anyway. If so, that would be very dishonest of them & I would encourage you to do whatever is best for you. Would working online from where you currently are be an option until you find an alternative job? Would they pay the money into a bank account that isn't based in the country? If the schools aren't open I can't imagine it's a safe location to relocate to at the moment!
  15. funkymonkey

    funkymonkey New commenter

    I got the job in late April. I imagine the decision was made a while ago but they omitted to tell us just before we are supposed to fly.

    I can not imagine they would pay into a foreign account. It is a case of going and putting up with it or not going.
  16. ACOYEAR8

    ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

    You don't mention your age. That said, I simply wouldn't risk it. It would be dodgy in normal times but with the pandemic, suddenly finding yourself abroad and subject to unilateral decisions made by an unknown school which has clearly demonstrated to you what it can do..., I'd be dropping the barge pole.
  17. msmillreef

    msmillreef New commenter

    I work for a very reputable group of schools in HK that I won't name for obvious reasons but it sounds like the Pringlish Spools Boundation...., anyway, during the Covid-19 outbreak the froze all fee increases to parents and froze all increase in teacher wages. I was happy to do this given the circumstances. I'd really be worried if I hadn't even started working for a school and they said they would cut my wages however. I wish you luck and keep us posted with your decision.
  18. funkymonkey

    funkymonkey New commenter

    Well after a lot of messing about and asking the same questions several times the school has said that the cut will only be for one month. They also clarified a few other things in writing. Although all this could have been done straight away as to avoid any bad feelings.
    After talking it over with my wife, we decided to go, mainly because the current situation is uncertain. The contract is for one year at a time so I think I can manage that.
    Poor communication from management is no way to run a school. It leads to a lot of insecurity and second guessing. Whatever the situation is schools should be upfront about it and then people can make up their own minds. They lost two out of four teachers that I know of and if I had gone that would have been 3.
    We shall see how it goes.

    Thank you for your comments.
    msmillreef likes this.
  19. motorhomer

    motorhomer New commenter

    What was their justification for only cutting salaries for 1 month? Check the contract very carefully before signing & good luck!

Share This Page