1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by bigfatgit, Nov 4, 2019.

1. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

So you're at a competition, your team comes second but at the presentation, they refuse to clap the referees and rip their medals off and in doing so, show great disrespect.

What would you do?

diddydave likes this.
  2. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Naughty...;)

3. bigfatgit

Moi?

welshwales likes this.
  4. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Increase the amount of curriculum time given to teaching "British Values", as clearly it's all their previous PE teacher's fault ;)

My wife, who is amongst the most fervent 'English' supporter, was NOT impressed.

welshwales likes this.
  5. bigfatgit

That would be "English" values...
    I'm still laughing at Captain Smirk being left for dead by the 12 year old Saffer on the wing

diddydave and welshwales like this.
  6. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Mrs DD says she noticed standards were dropping when teams started leaving tournaments before the final and weren't present to applaud both teams at the end - she always made sure her's stayed to the end (unfortunately not always by being in the final :()

7. bigfatgit

We had a coach who wanted to leave before their team's final game on Friday. "There's no point in playing it because we've lost all the other games"

One of his own players basically told him where to go and that they were staying to play - they got a draw which actually affected the placings

diddydave likes this.
  8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

If I had carte blanche (ie knew I wasn't going to be overturned by SLT or criticised by parents), I would take the medals off them and give/send them to the 3rd place team (after all, they didn't want them did they - they took them off). In addition, I would ask them to draw up a letter of apology which would go to the referee/s, the host school and the winning team, signed by all players.

Prior to the above, I would meet with them and discuss their actions - maybe even ask them what they think the sanctions should be (although I am assuming these are Egyptian children? - so maybe they might not be so humble/pragmatic).

At the very least, a letter of apology should be written.

I'm guessing that they were copying their role models from the England (and NZ) rugby team/s

9. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

OK - I saw what you did there - dooohhhhh! Been a long day
    OK - saw what you did there - dooohhhh! Been a long day

10. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

This has been bugging me since you posted it. I hope I'd have the courage to drop them all from the team, and be prepared to field my 2nd team in their place. I believe that I'd have the backing of all the HTs I've worked for. I'd expect to have to weather a parental storm.

11. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I think BFG is being a bit mischievous. I think the team which he is talking about, wears a white shirt with a rose, and plays with an oval shaped ball.

12. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Absolutely right. But it's also right to question why we offer competitive sports in school. If it's only to win, I think it's pretty narrow in outlook. Experience of sportsmanship

13. bigfatgit

Merry Christmas everyone, even the **** that gave me the Eddie Jones' book

14. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Just spotted that I didn't finish my post! My point was intended to be that experience of sportsmanship, of losing, of recovery, of difficulty overcome, of team work, are all valuable.