1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Retro Bates, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Retro Bates

Retro Bates New commenter

I left teaching after my second in department treated me like I didn't exist, undermined me and told lies to other colleagues and drove me to the edge of madness! He even lied to HR when I raised a grievance. I had enough and went quietly to save my sanity. Senior team were not supportive and I was left feeling like the one in the wrong.

6 months later and Im in a better place - HOWEVER - I have recently discovered that prior to me appointing him, he had faced the sack from his middle leadership role for repeated misconduct. His line manager was once again the source of concerns and led to him recieving a verbal warning for acting above his position and later a first and final formal written warning for 'deliberately misleading his line manager' and making unsubstansiated claims against the senior leaders regarding the planting of innappropriate files on the school network. . He finally faced the sack for deliberately misleading his line manager over the the completion of his GCSE controlled assessment. A misconduct hearing stated he broke the exam and school rules, allowing drafts to be made which was against the exam board rules. Every single incident ever pointed at him was strenuously denied - exactly what happened when I encountered his antics.

Prior to my departure, I had raised a suspicion that he was offering students too much assistance in their written coursework, as I suspected he had written sections of a low ability student's submission, whilst scribing for him. I did not get the opportunity to formally report this.

I would like others to know these truths as he expertly turned his appalling conduct against me and became the victim whilst I took time off. Had this history been known, the outcome may have been different. I feel much better knowing the truth as in the end he left me feeling my career and reputation was in tatters and I was to blame. I could have handled things better, but the senior team did nothing when I was clearly struggling. I have moved on and feel so much happier. But I cant help feeling like this should be shared to expose him for who he really is.

What would you do.

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Quite honestly if you're now in a better place I'd put it behind you and move on with your life.

3. Retro Bates

Yes. But....... :)

4. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 New commenter

I’m in a similar situation now. Absolutely sucks. Not sure what’s to be gained by holding onto it all though and like the previous poster said, if you’re in a better place try to put it behind you and move on.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes but nothing.
    You've left that school and that job behind you.
    You'reinI a much better place now and have nothing to gain by ruminating on that past colleague and their behaviour. That will be their own concern and there's nothing you can do to influence them.

Do as advised and put it down to experience and make plans for your own life and future.

6. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

This person will not be changing their behavior, and you will only be one in a long line to be a victim of their bullying. So i understand why you would want to see justice. Their school prior to yours must have written a very creative reference to move them on and this will probably happen again. Hopefully they will trip them selves up but don't cont on it.
    The most you can do now would be to have a quiet, off the record, conversation with a former colleague, who is still working at your last school and who you trust, who can monitor this person and be ready to give support if / when this person does it to another teacher.
    Remember there is what you know and what you can prove so choose your words carefully if you choose to do this.
    To be honest the best thing you can do is move on and forget. This is not easy I experienced the same and my former colleague, in spite of causing serious problems at their next few schools, I have heard, went on to SLT. Sometimes S*** floats.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Which ones?
    Yours or theirs?

8. Retro Bates

Their’s. I’ve got written evidence.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This sounds more like a vendetta and really you'd be best advised not to go there. Evidence presented won't always be interpreted in the way you may assume, were 'legal experts' to be involved.

10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Don’t waste time expending negative energy. You are relatively happy and have moved on - I ‘d take that ....

11. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Perhaps ask his previous school to contact the current school so that you are left out of it?

12. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Is revenge really that important to you? Leave well alone and concentrate on being well and happy in your own life. It is highly likely that this person will get their comeuppance entirely without your input eventually, Let he who cast first stone and all that...

13. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

While revenge seems so tempting, I would ask what you ultimately want out of it. You made the decision to leave so there might not be much comeback there.

There is an old proverb along the lines of surviving long enough to see the bodies of your enemies float past. One of these days the second in department will do something as to be outed to his current school.

Just be happy you have left it behind and moved on.

14. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

He's an asshole who made your life a misery.

You've moved on.

What are you aiming to gain?

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

How on earth have you come by this information?
    There is no way this should be public knowledge.

There is also every chance the SLT already know much of this as it would have been in the reference when he was appointed.

All that will happen is that you will look like a vindictive bully...the exact opposite of your intentions.

Leave it completely, it is none of your business.

16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

If you really have obtained 'written evidence' of somebody else's confidential HR records/files, then someone is going to get in a whole load of trouble. Maybe you.

17. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

I am not surprised that the OP has got to know about this. It can be quite shocking how much gossip goes around a school and beyond to other schools.
    I also remember one colleague, a very thick skinned and arrogant individual who used to brag about the things they had 'got away with'

18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I wonder if you expected people to say ‘go for it’ to you. Or if you expected to get a perspective on how to ‘shop’ this person.

Leave it alone. Its what everyone has said and everyone is right. There is nothing to be gained by pursuing this, however unfair it may seem to you now. Many of us have experienced harsh, unfair, vindictive and unpleasant treatment. We have been able to move on. You should too.

19. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 New commenter

Tough though isn’t it. Like, it’s not right.
    But life is too short, move on.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

This chap has been investigated extensively. The suspicion that you failed to report officially at the time? OK, write that up and send it to the exam board. Job done. Leave it.