1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by DrJay, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

What did you decide?

2. BehaviourQueen

BehaviourQueen New commenter

For me, money is not the important thing, at all.

I work now in a different school, for less money, where my day is longer due to travel, but am so much happier and healthier.

Teaching is something I love, and has never been about the money.

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Look at the schools pay policy. Think about the philosophy of the place. That will tell you how easy it is to cross the threshold.

As someone who has worked in tough and more leafy schools, there are very different skills needed in both (IMO) you value academia ( good on you with the qualifications- I feel you have the right to big yourself up) are you going to be academically sustained there?

As for workload.... the difference in pay is a few grand now?

4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I am interested that the OP hasn't told us the decision.
    I wonder why not...

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I have a PhD and teach in an independent school. I publish as well. Much more freedom for me; oddly less pressure.

blueskydreaming and FrankWolley like this.
  6. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

To get a PhD you have to complete some form of research and write a dissertation of about 20000 words. I suspect PHDers would rather work in a university if they could but as someone said, research grants have dried up and there are probably more people with a PhD than there are uni jobs hence the need to work in schools. I wouldn't say the same for Masters degree holders however mostly which are just 1 year full time to complete.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I worked in several independent schools, and in all (as far as I remember) there were some colleagues with PhDs, as there were in some (but not all) state secondary schools I worked in.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Rather longer than 20,000 words if my son's is typical. My MA dissertation from nearly 40 years ago was 20,000 words.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ummm what about those people who want to be teachers? Who enjoy teaching? Who like teaching in primary or secondary schools? Who would not want to teach in university if they were paid double? The jobs are entirely different!
    My masters one was 20 000, from just a year or two back.
    A PhD is significantly more.

agathamorse and FrankWolley like this.
  10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Overworked and underpaid applies to most teachers in state schools these days. Any school where "the data is not good" (i.e. the children aren't hitting the externally set grade targets) is likely to have huge workload issues as staff try to wring that extra bit of achievement out of the children.
    If you want money, work in a different field to education. If you want more leisure also work elsewhere although I'm still looking for the "lots of money and leisure opportunity".
    If you want to work with young people in schools, you have to accept lots of work and not much money for years - or you have to join the union and actively campaign for a change in conditions of employment, accepting that you may not manage to achieve that,.
    I have worked with PhD colleagues in most of the schools I've been in (although, curiously, not the highest achieving one).

11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My PhD was about 90, 000 words....

12. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Apologies for the delayed feedback on my decision, and thanks to all contributors. I finally decided to remain in post in my current school not only because they made movements and fully matched the offer made to me by the other school (both the pay scale and TLR), but weighing all factors, including workload which isn't in the end necessarily lower in the other school (e.g. current school I'm teaching 21.5hrs; new school 25hrs). In the end, a senior colleague advised I need to work smarter than harder. One of the things I learned in this process: employers need to let their employees feel valued. I didn't feel valued/appreciated for all my hardwork, and was surprised when my current school pulled out all the stops to persuade me not to leave. In the end, I decided to stay. Thanks everyone.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I feel very sorry for the school you have rejected at this late stage in the year. If I were that head, I would be fuming.
    And I'm surprised you are able to change your mind, or consider leaving, given the deadline for resignations has long since passed.

14. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Always thought that there's something weird/fishy about this thread.....

15. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

@ caterpillartobutterfly: Just to set the record straight. You assumed this was prior to the May 31 deadline. You're wrong. This position is for Jan 2020, and the last time I checked the ad was still life, and very much so after I had interviewed.

Teacher_abc123 likes this.
  16. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

[​IMG]

SweetDee42 and KeishaBecky like this.
  17. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

OP, I think that you adopted a sensible approach to making this important decision and I'm delighted that you've arrived at a highly satisfactory outcome. Well done. When so many (usually older) teachers are being shafted, it is good to see the supply and demand boot on the other foot for a change. There's a hint of jealousy on this thread. I'm jealous too!
    You now need to go all-out at justifying the confidence your current school has shown in you. As for the advice 'work smarter, not harder', yes I agree. You will find ways to do that as you gain more teaching experience, and as the endless new initiatives start to seem not-so-new. And soon, promotion opportunities will arise in your school. Ironically, these may reduce the work load. Good luck....

buffa and Teacher_abc123 like this.
  18. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

I'm glad it all worked out for the best but I couldn't help but comment.....

Ugh - a redundant and meaningless phrase [codswallop] if ever there was one. Management psychobabble (I can think of much less polite epiphets). Alarm bells would ring at this (what teacher doesn't work 'smart'? Have we the time to do it any other way?). It's usually code for 'your workload will stay exactly the same (if not more) but if you can't cope it's your fault because you're not doing it properly or with the right attitude [cue reaching for the Growth Mindset book that you'll be given to read...in your own time, of course].

Good luck!

19. Freeze!

Freeze! New commenter

Some schools are better at this than others, but generally I doubt many teachers feel that their hard work is valued or appreciated but rather, expected.

20. SweetDee42

SweetDee42 New commenter

They're giving PhDs to CHILDREN now??? #BrokenBritain