1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pink_reindeer, Nov 13, 2018.

1. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

This is not a massive problem at all (it's barely even a problem) and it'll work out somehow or another. Just interested to know what other people may do in my situation.

I am a secondary teacher. I taught abroad last year and since returning, I have been questioning whether I even want to teach, hence doing some supply work while I try to decide. My Dad is upset at the thought of my leaving the profession as he thinks I'm a really good teacher (obviously, he has no idea - he's just being a Dad!!). He (and a few others) has suggested primary instead of secondary to see if I'd prefer that. I've been teaching since 2004 by the way.

I'm registered with three agencies. I am booked with one next Wednesday, in a primary school. It's close to the city so driving there will be stressful because stuck in traffic etc. I don't know which year group it'll be.
    Another has just messaged me to say that a secondary school (that I'm in today) has asked for me to work next Wednesday. I like that they've asked specifically for me, so I sort of don't want to say no, but obviously I'm already booked. The secondary school is a 10 minute drive from home, I don't hit traffic - it's easy. This agency pays a little more than the one that has me booked for primary next week.

Any thoughts?

2. pink_reindeer

Oh, and also, I am getting far more work with agency number 2. So I don't want to turn something down and make them think twice about contacting me. Although, they know I'm already booked.

3. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

Hi if you are looking for a permanent change into primary then go with this booking and tell the other agency that you have to respect the assignment you initially accepted. There's a "gentleman's agreement" amongst agencies that a candidate can't be expected to turn down a longer term booking.

If the secondary school wants you in future they'll again ask for you, it's just that you're busy this time. It adds to your reputation and value that others are competing for you.

Let us know how you get on as I've wondered about primary as well. Good luck!!

4. Northern_Miss

Northern_Miss New commenter

Primary is more rewarding (one class all day), but also more work in terms of marking, planning, assessment etc in my experience. You may also be lucky enough to get a class TA in Primary.

It's troubling that the agency haven't told you what year group - KS1 English (phonics) is very different from KS2! I might be inclined to go with the lovely, local Secondary, if it's a school you really like, where you might one day want a job.

Keep in mind that there are other ways to get Primary experience, to see if you fancy it. You could offer to do TA-style work at a local Primary School, on a voluntary basis. If you explained your thinking, I don't see why a head wouldn't welcome you. Schools are so short staffed at the moment. You could ask for a week in Year 1 or 2 and a week in Year 5?

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. pink_reindeer

that's a great idea, thanks

agathamorse and Northern_Miss like this.
  6. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Bear in mind that on Primary Supply day to day you’re expected to mark literacy and numeracy

It’s a nice change from secondary..

Also, I would say it’s probably a good idea to honour bookings you’ve agreed to. It can be really annoying but helps to be seen as reliable.