1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by digoryvenn, Jul 21, 2017.

1. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Whatt would you do if a member of staff accessed the NCA tools website using the HT login and password without permission?

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Again, it depends. Why did they access it?

3. digoryvenn

They accessed it to view the year 6 SATS results on 4th July before I did.
    They saw me type the password in and remembered it.

4. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I don't understand how they would know the HT password and log in... unless the HT had left it lying around somewhere - which is rather careless and unnecessary. You can. after all, give other member of staff appropriate logins.
    Do you have an e-safety, acceptable use or code of conduct policy?

5. cornflake

How do you know they logged in before you?

6. digoryvenn

It wasn't left lying around. The member of staff was present in the office standing near the computer when the HT typed in the password.

They told me they had done this and they felt that they had done nothing wrong at all.

7. cornflake

So, what would I do?
    Probably want to work out why they felt they had to "remember" the password and log in - rather than waiting till the results were shared. Don't they trust the HT?
    I'd change my password - as clearly I couldn't trust them.
    And make sure I didn't log on while other people were around next time.
    Like I wouldn't openly put my PIN number in a card machine without thinking about who might see it.
    But thats easy to say in hindsight.

8. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

in my school using another's login is listed as a misconduct offence on our staff conduct policy. Can't remember the sanction, butt it is either verbal warning or written warning.

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

It's worth checking your staff policies - try the IT Acceptable Use Policy (or equivalent).
    Playing devil's advocate here, the HT may have broken that policy by (unintentionally) disclosing login details!

10. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

HT should have been more careful to protect their password if they don't want anyone else using it. Person remembering it shouldn't have used it. The password needs to be changed to make it secure. A meeting should take place explaining that both staff members were at fault and discussing how the situation will be avoided in the future. The relevant policy needs to be read by those involved and adhered to. If there isn't a policy on protecting data, one needs to be written.

11. digoryvenn

Thanks everyone.
    Password has been changed.
    Teacher has been told not to do it again.
    I think the IT acceptable use policy needs updating.

12. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

The HT shouldn't have to shield the keyboard, the teacher in question should not be watching people type in passwords. You wouldn't watch the person in front of you at a cash machine typing in their pin would you?

digoryvenn and Sundaytrekker like this.
  13. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

digoryvenn - exactly what I would do. Plus I would keep a close eye on the teacher concerned.

digoryvenn and Sundaytrekker like this.
  14. digoryvenn

Thanks Marshall. I shall be keeping a close eye on the teacher concerned.

Marshall likes this.
  15. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

In our school the IT technician recommended changing passwords every month. Although this may be impractical if there are many different passwords to remember, it might be worth considering changing it just before the year 6 results come out next year!

alexanderosman and Sundaytrekker like this.
  16. digoryvenn

I definitely will be changing the password again before the results next year!

Sundaytrekker likes this.