1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by weirside, Mar 20, 2014.

1. weirside

weirside New commenter

Before I outline my issue can I be clear that I have observed the behaviours I am about to describe. I am not being led by other staff.

I have an SLT member who is very negative. This was an issue last year but it was not broached. I have given her time to recover from a very stressful year with the previous head. I have offered a listening ear as I understand the earlier situation but she continues to become more negative. I am conerned that this is beginning to impact on the children.

There have been other underperformance issues but she has worked on these and is developing.

2. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Just my initial impression, without having the full picture -you do sound rather patronising.

3. moodhoover

moodhoover New commenter

I see no evidence to support your comment, Valentino.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You can't change peoples personalities?

5. weirside

weirside New commenter

Not my intention but I had spent a lot of time reading the previous comments on similar strands and wanted to make my situation clear to save others time in asking questions.

6. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

As I said, that's my initial impression, based on lack of context and vocabulary used. To say that the SLT member has had a "listening ear" from the HT does not seem to solve or support, really.

But it does depend on the various issues and level of stress.

I do appreciate that the OP may not be able to give more details. But, if it's the case that this member of staff has felt real WRS for over a year, then something rather more than a "listening ear" might be needed to show a reasonable duty of care and help her deal with the negativity.

7. Is it any wonder this board has a bad reputation with comments like that ?

I would have it out with her. Put your cards on the table and say that positivity is part of your ethos - it's the only way school can move forward, and that you need her to be part of it.