1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what would you do?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by MisterMaker, Dec 10, 2013.

1. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Firstly, I'd have to wonder how the press got hold of the story, and how much fact had been bent in their retelling of it......

Secondly, I would have to query how effective the internet filtering provided by South West Grid was if some students could bypass it.... Maybe the students should go advise them on how to improve their security.

Then support the teacher best one can - It could happen to anyone, and call me philosophical but it in the bigger picture and world beyond 'school inflation' an unfortunate sequence of errors in judgement heightened by mischief. I personally couldn't justify ruining someones life over this and I don't see how that would benefit the school.

Remind all staff of the need to

1. Not leave a room unattended with students in it.

2. Close/ lock computers when not present... and students the boundaries about what not to touch in a classroom!

3. Ensure kids who played 'prank' understand the seriousness of their actions and make them apologise to the class and the parents of those students affected.

3. lightningconductor

lightningconductor New commenter

I think Daisyslot has summed it up pretty well.

Maybe I'm prone to being a little too cynical nowadays but one could almost get the impression that all misbehaviour by children in schools is due to the incompetence, insensitivity or, as in this case, carelessness of teachers. Are we as a society moving towards a situation where, should we give someone an opportunity to do wrong, the fault will not be seen as lying with the wrongdoer but with the person(s) who allowed that opportunity for wrongdoing to arise?

No - it's simply the case that the two Year 11 kids in this case were naughty and should be punished appropriately (at least as much as Daisyslot's point 3).

I leave my classroom computer on all day every day unless adults (e.g. workmen) are in my room and I'm not present. The kids never touch it without my express say so: they know that it's wrong. If they ever did touch it and were found out, they would soon be made very aware that they had done wrong and so would their parents. It's called discipline.

4. DaisysLot

You are right LC - Far too often we have to be seen to 'prevent' this, 'lock down' that and it simply isn't teaching young people about invisible boundaries.... and how to learn to become trustworthy 'not to' even when something out of bounds is accessible.

5. We use the SW Grid for Learning's filters (as does the whole SW) and they are usually extremely tight (even YouTube is blocked) and I wouldn't have a clue how to disable it, as we have to make a written request to unfilter something. I think this was just bad luck, particularly if the school had no idea that some students had hacked the system. Still, Mr Gove will be pleased that his Computer Coding curriculum is improving student's understanding of computer programming...

6. DaisysLot

Indeed... I think as a head I would primarily be pushing 'blame' towards having faith in a filtering system that invariably failed and opened up this problem.

7. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

Agree with all the above, if the computer was only unsupervised for such a short space of time either they are good at breaking systems, or it is too easy to break or they have been able to practice breaking it at other times - the school needs to investigate those issues too!

8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

There has been big discussion of the tech issues here on other, technical, sites. Without knowing the detail, the consensus there is that if this were at least partly pre-planned it could be done despite filtering, using a USB stick or a tethered mobile phone, among other things. The message is simple, that staff must lock their computers when they leave them. It only takes two keystrokes so isn't much to ask. This would prevent prank use of the computer and also prevent data protection issues arising. A tech solution is to have all PCs self-lock after only a few minutes, as for example online banking does, but this tends to make them irritating in the extreme in lessons.