1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ethnic, Feb 25, 2012.

1. What would you do and why? Imagine this scenario - you are single, have been offered a job as a main scale teacher at a very good school in Abu Dhabi, fully furnished free 1 bedroom accommodation (no utilities paid though), good salary, return annual flight, gratuity, health insurance and shipping allowance. You have also been offered a job as a Head of Department in a very good school in Muscat, 2 bedroom fully furnished accommodation (with utilities allowance), better salary, gratuity, return flight and shipping allowance? Which one would you go for and why?

Thanks Ethnic

2. What would you do and why? Imagine this scenario - you are single, have been offered a job as a main scale teacher at a very good school in Abu Dhabi, fully furnished free 1 bedroom accommodation (no utilities paid though), good salary, return annual flight, gratuity, health insurance and shipping allowance. You have also been offered a job as a Head of Department in a very good school in Muscat, 2 bedroom fully furnished accommodation (with utilities allowance), better salary, gratuity, return flight and shipping allowance? Which one would you go for and why?

Thanks Ethnic

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Muscat - financially better, you have a 2 bed place so can have visitors without having to have your living room filled with a made up bed, higher salary, better CV prospects (HoD). Better package all round. Cost of living simlar in both.
    Only caveat - Muscat may be a little quieter than AD and AD has lots more social things to do - Grand Prix, music oncerts, sports events.

4. I would agree, the package is better. However you may wish to actually consider the schools!!! Which would be better to work in and which actual role would you prefer? If you are looking for management you may just get frustrated with a mainscale role. Or am I being silly here as it would seem to be the life outside school that is more important to you?

5. It's a difficult one for me because being happy in the school outweighs the money. Have been Head of Department before on 2 occasions in selective schools in the UK so am familiar with the pressures and the stresses associated with it. It's just that I am not working currently so am happy to take anything that looks decent.

Thanks for replying.