1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bombaysapphire, Nov 21, 2011.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I'd throw the other person involved outside and lock the door on them.
    You can clear up cat sick. If you adopt an animal then you take on the responsibility of caring for it when it is ill, however inconvenient.

2. This animal depends on you for her home food and security. She is your pet - to lock her out perminanntly would be unthinkable. If this other person thinks it is oK, then they not only don't understand what a pet is all about, but they don't understand what a pet owner is all about either. You are a pet owner with a pet, living with someone who is incapable of empbasising with either of you.
    You have my sympathy.

3. If you both own the cat he/she has moral obligation to look after it. Ridiculous behaviour - throwing things around! How old is he/she? Tell him/her to grow up and take responsibility for their own behaviour and for their pet.

4. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Curious term. Are you house-sharers, or living together in a married-style of thing? I only ask because I'd agree with Bombay- I'd be sorely tempted to throw that person out. If I were in a relationship of any kind then this lack of compassion, bordering on cruelty, would make me have serious second, third and fourth thoughts about being with them. What if the same attitude continued when the person became a parent, for example?

5. You know you have to stick with it! Have you considered the PDSA? I think they will see you free if you are unemployed. I am wondering what the vet thought was wrong with your cat and what the medication was? Obviously not an animal loveer then, your roomie?Good luck.It is very wearing when you have to keep clearing up after a sick pet.

6. This. I'd be fighting tooth and claw for the cat. Carpets can be cleaned.
    As a compromise, maybe certain areas could be closed off to cat, like this person's bedroom- depends on the house though.
    But when you take on a pet, it's an "in sickness and in health" deal.

7. I know it's unthinkable! If we treat animals like this, then it reflects on who we are as a person, as a society (I swear that's an actual quote). I would never dream of doing such a thin. Imagine if I treated this person like this, if they were sick? Geez. They wouldn't like it.

They're a parent. Mine in fact.

8. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

Patchi, is this regurgitating ( vomiting soon after eating ) or vomiting? What are you currently feeding her since this sounds to me like inflammatory bowel disease which is essentially a food allergy. Cats can be allergic to a protein type ie chicken or beef or an additive or other ingredient in it. Grains can be a classic culprit. This is very easily treated in the early stage by switching to a suitable food which avoids the trigger ingredient though you have to remember to switch over very gradually to avoid diarrhea etc. A wet diet is also preferable to a dry one. Normally a novel protein ( one that cat has never had before ) is introduced first ie venison or lamb which contains no other ingredients - most of these are prescription diets though there are some others available.

9. I am!! I just get on with it, the other person cleans it up but makes their feelings known about it.
    The vet thought that the cat had a hairball stuck somewhere in her system and she was being sick to try and get it out. We were given some medication that is supposed to help clear this out either through one end or the other. We did as told, gave it to her the first 3 days and then once per week. We're currently in the 2nd once per week phase. We have noticed fur in her remains of the litter tray and she has even brought up significant amounts of fur in her sick. (Sorry, if you're eating your tea). From this, it appears it is working. We even brush her everyday now and she is a very short-haired cat.

She used to be on a wet diet but this made her sick after every meal. We switched to a dry diet and she was sick free for 2 weeks, before she was sick once again after 50% meals. We now feed her on a dry food that is specific for cat's with food allergies/sensitive stomachs and she has had no real problems with this - We even have a golfball in her bowl to slow her down and control her water in-take. Yes, I know cat's are supposed to be self-regulating but experience has taught me, she isn't.

The last two times she has been sick, it was food (Today) - The occassions before that it was water. Controlling her water in-take carefully, has stopped this.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Total B*stard. Next time they're ill, change the locks and leave them out in the garden.

11. I have a feeling that there is more to this story than the op is letting on. As Jezzer always says, "there are two sides to every story".

12. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

I hadn't seen the other posts before I replied last time. So the vomiting is only a fairly recent thing? Yes, it does sound hairball related if she's excreting this amount of hair though at this stage I would have expected most has been expelled.Another option is to just call the vet and explain that despite the medicaiton/diet she's still being sick. There are diets available for cats who are prone to this, also treats. Another option is sardines in oil which help to dispel them. How often is she sick these days?
    However, do bear in mind the food may also be at fault.

13. She started being sick around a number of weeks ago and we assumed that she was eating and drinking too fas, as well as eating and drinking everything we had put down in one go. So, we started limiting the amount of water that was put out for her, as well as including the golf ball in her food. This slowed her down and she wasn't sick for around 2 weeks. We even feed her less but more often and made sure she didn't have access to additonal water e.g the bath or the sink.
    She started being sick again - We changed her food to a brand that is aimed at cat's with sensitive stomachs and over a period of 7 days, mixed it in with her old cat food. This is dry food. The food we give her now is classed as natural pet food and has no added additives, which are unnecessary for a cat's diet but does include natural antioxidants and contains around 80% meat.This seemed to do the trick and she was sick free for another 2 weeks or so.She then started to be sick on and off and happened many hours after being fed and so was mainly water content. A few days later she was projectile vomiting her food and this is when we took her to the vets.
    The vet after her check-up said that she was healthy and could find no obvious reason as to why she was being sick except possibly that the cat is trying to bring up a fur-ball that is stuck somewhere in her system. The medication that we were given is to be put with her food (and luckily, the cat looks the medication) for 3 days and then once a week from then on. The medication is supposed to help expel the furball from one end or the other, possibly both so we have to check her litter tray for any signs on fur.
    Within the first 3 days, we could tell that fur was in her stools and she even brought up a significant amount of fur along with her water. After this, she was sick free and had been so until 2-3 days ago. This time, she has been bringing up food at least 90 minutes after eating but fur is still evident.
    If it continues today, I will take her to the vets.
    Extra: She doesn't get fed any of our food, nor does she receive any milk (despite the fact she loves the stuff!). We've even done the whole "not feeding the cat for 24 hours" when we thought it was a bug, but still had access to water.

14. I agree
    I inherited a cat when on a low income, when he needed treatment I was honest with the vet and although they have signs saying "full payment required with treatment" they let me pay over a few months.

15. Pineapple juice is supposed to break down the keratin in the hair. We used it in a pipette for our cat and it seemed to work.