1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Aug 3, 2011.

1. I really dislike charities calling at the door - especially since I found out that the cancer magazine my Mum used to buy donated about 5% of its profits to cancer research. I do always buy poppies (come to think of it I organise poppy sales at school) and give to certain charities close to my heart.
    On Monday my hairdresser asked if I would like to sponsor her as she is doing a half-marathon. She is doing the run for the Madeleine McCann fund. Whilst I do feel desperately sorry for her family I am afraid I think it is a lost cause. I hope I am proved wrong at some point. I looked at the form and two people had sponsored her already - to the tune of £20 and £10. To be honest, I usually give things like that £5 because I feel a bit forced into it, but this time put a tenner on top of the cost of my hair.
    Yesterday I was extremely hot and sweaty,fraught and emotional - clearing my dad's house, which is full to the gunnels with Stuff. It is a hard job and I find it tough - but there is only me to do it. The doorbell went, I came down and it was a bloke selling lottery tickets for a children's hospice which is very local to me. In school we raise an awful lot of money for this place, it is close to our hearts and I have done fund-rasing for them for over 20 years now. Anyway. this chap was standing there showing me the lottery tickets and I said "I am really not interested, but thank you". He came back with "what, not for a children's hospice?" I went up the bloody wall, really snapped at him and told him I knew it very well and had raised a lot of money for them myself. I know I was very fraught but I really sent him off with a flea in his ear. Now, of course, I feel really baaaaad because I know that children's hospices rely very heavily on donations and volunteers - and he was probably one.

2. I always say that I will have to check on the charities commission website, as on principle I will not give to any charity who pay any members of staff large salaries. Some of the charities who doorstep regularly round here I've looked up so many times that I can remember how much they need to raise each year to pay salaries before they start 'doing good.' I had one guy ask me if I thought that they should pay rubbish wages to top people. I don't know that £60 000.99 pa would be seen by most people as rubbish wages.

3. Thank you everyone. It seems very wrong to me that so many of us have to develop responses to avoid these charities - surely "No, thank you" should be enough! Especially since I am sure that most of us have charities which are close to our hearts and which we donate to.

4. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

I have DD's vannie, but only agree to set them up if the charity promises never to contact me ever again! I tell them I will raise the amount on the DD as and when I can afford to/choose to. However, if they contact me the DD will be cancelled. It works! Major charities agree and leave me alone. I did feel guilty when I realised I had been paying the same amount for about 11 yrs though! Time to increase my payments.

5. The most interesting call I ever had was from Greenpeace, for whom I have set up a DD for the last several years. They telephoned a few months ago to tell me about their new ship and it really was a very interesting conversation!
    While I disapprove in principal to them calling like this, they had, to be fair, never phoned before. So I let the chap tell me all about the lovely, new, purpose-built boat and I thought it was worth contributing to.
    However, it was too close to the end of the month and told them to call back next month. Actually they called back just before payday so I said again it would need to be after payday. The second chap apologised for jumping the gun.
    A week later the first bloke called back and was very surprised when, having just asked my name, I said "Hello, is that Greenpeace?".

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I loath anyone who isn't friend or family or by invitation knocking my frigging door - and if they do be they selling the chance to fly to the moon, double glazing, religion or charitable causes they will incur my telling them so. Depending on the day, or whether they have woken me up, the baby up, or disturbed some personal peaceful ritual this will range from polite to concrete assertive. It is my home. If I wish to give to charitable causes of my choosing, I will. I am perfectly aware of the range of causes out there - and there are some I feel are dubious, some whose causes I don't agree with and some who I appreciate are strapped for cash. To be frank, I would admire any charity much more if it found an inventive or purposeful way of raising funds that didn't involve knocking the doors of householders.

7. Don't feel bad, mostly the door to door people are paid.
    I answerd the door to one a while back who asked if i'd heard of the charity and I said "yes, because my (insert name of relative) has cancer"

her reply was "well that's good then............"
    I shut the door.
    I have charities I give to and ones I don't, one of the ones I don't is children in need and a lot of people ccannot understand why.

It's your home, why should you give moiney to some stranger knocking on your doorstep.

8. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Like many of the posters here, I have select charities that I focus my charitable giving towards: a children's charity (for obvious reasons), an animal charity, a local hospice and a cancer charity that is close to my heart. I also have run the Race for Life twice now and raised several hundred pounds each time. I try to buy books second hand from various charity shops, so my money helps that way too. In short, I do my best.
    It's impossible to give to every charity if you are on a bit of a budget yourself. I simply cannot fill the 6 charity bags per week that come through my letter box (really annoys me that they never collect the unused sack from my doorstep either - what a waste!). One should not feel guilt-tripped into donating.
    Once, I was in town rushing about getting some bits and pieces in a hurry when a charity rep accosted me, shaking a bucket at me and asking for a minute of my time, shoving a direct debit form under my nose. I politely, if a little hurriedly, told him that I wasn't interested today and, as I walked away, he called, "Too busy with you shopping today to give to charity? Ok, no problem". I was furious I wheeled around and told him that I wasn't too busy to give him a piece of my mind! I'd politely said no. He had no idea how much I may, or may not, give to charity. And as it happened, it was one of the charities I do already donate to. How dare he seek to embarrass me in that way in public!
    I certainly don't give anything to ANYONE who knocks on my door. I usually ask them to put some information in the post to me and I'll decide later if I want to donate.
    I do sponsor friends if they are doing something for charity; more out of wanting to support my friends rather than specifically about which charity I'm giving to, particularly if they are doing something they have been training for such as running a certain distance, or if they are completing a challenege such as abseiling down a huge building or doing a skydive for the first time. I wouldn't be sponsoring my hairdresser, however, unless she was a good friend.

9. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I probably would have bought a raffle ticket because I don't mind just giving a pound here and there. I don't sign up to DDs though x

10. This is something which has made my blood boil on numerous occasions. I remember the first time I had a chat with a chugger about greenpeace. Told me all the info, I had given to greenpeace in the past and I decided to sign up for the minimum donation. Next week, same guy stopped me, collecting for water aid. This wa when I realised they were paid to do this. He gave a fair argument about targets he had to meet, how they raised more than volunteers, but I was no longer interested.

I used to let them tell me about their charity because I felt it was a **** job they had when everyone says no to them, and then I;d tell them I already gave to x y and z and would consider their charity the follwoing year. One asked me why i gave to RNLI when I lived inland - "you;re never goign to need alifeboat, why give to them?" were his words.
    I nopw only give to charities if they agree to never send me stuff in the post. All the money spent on glossy magazines and window stickers is such a waste IMO. I cancelled my DD with Concern for that reason and they still send begging letters to my house.

I'm a lot more confident in saying no now. Especaiily when they open with some spiel (sp?) about "we need x million pounds to run our charity each year. now do you have that downt he back of your sofa?"

11. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I'm sure I once saw a job advert for those people who stand out in the street with clipboards and try to get peoples money... i'm sure it said they earn something like £7-£8 an hour! I may be wrong and i'm sure for some charities it's voluntary, but then I decided after seeing that, that I didn't feel bad about not giving! Plus if they annoy me, I always say "oh i'm already signed up for it thanks!" I give enough of my own free will, without a direct debit!