I'm afreshly qualified teacher of maths, who has spent the last 10 years working in blue chip companies and decided on a career change. I love teaching, but I have been a little disheartened at the difficulty in finding a job for induction year. I had an interview yesterday and would really like some advice over this as I am steaming mad I applied to a school which is becomeing an academy and got turned down: this school knows me already and I spent some time there as part of my training. I was surprised, given that I had had interviews elsewhere to be turned down without interview, which I was then told was because there we 20 candidates who all had Maths degrees! Subsequently, the school did not employ anyone and readvertised. I e-mailed them to ask if they would reconsider and got an e-mail stating that they would and I should come in for interview, teach and a presentation. So yesterday I had an interview, and taught and all went well. My interview was conisdered good, and my lesson was also good. A few minor points but I had the feeling you get when the students have taken things on board and made progress. The head of maths then had to run off to find someone to give him the nod, given that I had met the criteria, and all seemed good. After an hour of waiting post interview in the staff room, the Head of dept then came back with bad news and said although I was a potentially very good teacher, the senior management (who hadnt met me) wanted an experienced member of staff on board to manage the transition period between school and academy (the site will be chaos for a year). So basically, with about two weeks left of the "window", the school think they are going to get a main scale maths teacher, with experience, who is willing to work in a hut for six months..The head of maths agrees with me that they are only likely to get teachers with "baggage". Oh, and the experienced teacher will also need a crystal ball as they arent actively advertising anywhere. I left pretty much speechless. What was the sense of me giving up a day's supply teaching, driving 50miles each way and employing a child carer and to go through all of the preparations just somply to be told "no" when I get there on the basis of something that was self evident from the application I sent? I feel like submitting an invoice for mileage, does anyone think this is a good idea?