1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Shabas, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Looking for an answer - can anyone help? I am in a privileged position to have 2 offers of 2 excellent schools for my son's secondary schooling. One is fee paying and local, the other is a state school (one of the top in the country) and 1 hour bus ride away. What to do ...? Part of me thinks how crazy to pay for an education when my son can get the same for free elsewhere. But then there is the 7 o'clock bus ride every morning!
    HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP
    I need to decide by Monday

2. Looking for an answer - can anyone help? I am in a privileged position to have 2 offers of 2 excellent schools for my son's secondary schooling. One is fee paying and local, the other is a state school (one of the top in the country) and 1 hour bus ride away. What to do ...? Part of me thinks how crazy to pay for an education when my son can get the same for free elsewhere. But then there is the 7 o'clock bus ride every morning!
    HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP
    I need to decide by Monday

3. How are you financially?
    Would the private school have a negative impact on your financial circumstances?

4. Fortunately no, he already attends the junior department and has passed the 11+ for secondary. The state school is right at the top of the league tables. I am concerned that being in private it is a privileged environment whereas the state school, with children from all backgrounds is far more representative of the real world.

5. Based on what you have just said, I would say that he would be better off at the private school.
    Just my opinion though.
    If finance is not a problem, it saves the 1 hour bus journey!

6. Even though the state school is higher on the league table of results? I wonder if having that on his CV will stand him better than an independent school name, when i have heard that universities can discriminate against this in order to ensure they take children from a range of backgrounds

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Flip a coin. Heads private, tails state.
    Once the coin lands, you will know what you want, whichever side is up.

8. Personally I would never choose to commute for an hour, so I certainly wouldn't wish it on a teenager. Just think what he could do with the hour or more that would be freed up from travelling.

Then again this state school does sound pretty good and I'm sure would give him a more rounded education. Could you move so that he doesn't have to do this horrendous commute?

9. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Only you can decide. I worked in an excellent state school just down the road, 3miles actually, from a well known Independent school. Many of the staff there sent their sons/daughters to the state school and were more than happy to do so.