1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do with these kids?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, May 19, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48326572

[​IMG]

"Thousands of pounds worth of model railway exhibits have been destroyed in an act of "total wanton destruction".

Market Deeping Model Railway Club lost years of work in the raid at Welland Academy in Stamford on Saturday.

Its chairman Peter Davies, 70, said exhibits were smashed, thrown around and stamped on, including a locomotive unit worth about £8,500.

Four youths have been arrested on suspicion of burglary and criminal damage.

The club had set up an exhibition in the school for viewing on Sunday."

[​IMG]

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd make sure they pay back every £££ worth of damage they have caused - even if that debt follows them into work (salary deductions) or benefits (benefit deductions); on top of a stiff fine and/or other punishments.

dleaf12, les25paul, bevdex and 18 others like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Oh yes - but it won't happen.

..and they should have criminal damage records as well.

dleaf12, les25paul, Sally006 and 9 others like this.
  4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I don't know - but I'm not sure @circuskevin 's unicycles would cut it...

minnie me, nomad and monicabilongame like this.
  5. Duke of York

That won't be able to replace the years of work the model railway enthusiasts put into their hobby.

It isn't a hobby I would want to get involved in, but over the years I met a fair number of people who did and I appreciate how long it will taken them to make their exhibits. They will have been very proud of what they achieved, not only because making their models is a labour of love, obtaining the materials isn't that easy. The effort isn't replaceable with cash.

What's sickening is the lack of respect. I wonder what prompted this wanton destruction?

les25paul, agathamorse, nomad and 3 others like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I agree it won't. Nothing would.

But it would have the advantage of making the culprits (once convicted) of having to take responsibility in the long term, something that a simple community service order (or period of imprisonment) wouldn't do.

7. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Make them spend hours creating something and then smash it to bits.
    Learning to unicycle would probably be effective too.
    :D

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Borstal, old style.

suzuki1690 and nomad like this.
  9. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Have donated. Poor guys; they did not deserve this. Having seen the Isle of Wight restored steam railway, I know how close these club members are and how skilled they can be. Horrible, senseless thing to do. Street yoof can take a running jump, I say.

agathamorse, BetterNow and smoothnewt like this.
  10. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

I cannot even bring myself to write what I would do to these vandals.

11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Oh lord. I can't even.

nomad, Dragonlady30 and catmother like this.
  12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Why would you even think of doing this? Why?

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Teenage testosterone. No imagination. No goals. No hobbies. Rage. Stupidity. Not thinking.
    Teenage boys can be terrifying. As can girls.
    :-(

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Whatever the law allows.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A significant number of hours' community service, measured in the hundreds, doing some of the crappiest jobs that can be found for them alongside railway lines, particularly those involving brambles.

Most of the people who created those models would be men in their 60s and 70s - it's an ageing hobby interest with very few younger followers these days. The psychological impact on many of them will be substantial.

dleaf12, agathamorse, Jamvic and 5 others like this.
  16. Duke of York

What's the likelihood of them being kids who were taught at that school? Serious question. Do kids still take pride in their schools? Pride in the school was drummed into all of us at my school; and justifiably so, because it offered something to take away for all academic abilities.

What's the likelihood of the damage being done as an act of revenge by students who had been excluded from the school?

What's the likelihood of the damage being done by kids from posh shools who are frustrated wannabes of the Bullingdon Club and potential future Tory Prime Ministers?

So many questions. The only ones we know the answers to is that their teachers were at fault.

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I don't remember any other act of vandalism ever making me feel this sad.
    They targeted the work of people who took years to create it and yet some of those people may not even have the same number of years remaining in their life.

I wish "what would you do with these kids?" were in my hands.

But it is not, so instead I wish for the fund they have amassed to grow beyond their wildest dreams, and for the money to go some way towards easing the grief. Let it be enough to fulfill bucket list dreams in the niche world of train modelling.

Yet it still bothers me deeply that you cannot buy back the time they spent on the models. It's heart breaking.

18. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

The parents need holding responsible too as well as the "youths".

19. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Here is a link to the 'Just Giving' page, raising funds for the model club.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/market-deeping-mrc

They only requested £500, but have received £26,000 so far. It will never replace the time and love it took to make, but hopefully, it might give them a a small crumb of relief to know that people sympathise.

Jamvic and Duke of York like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

They do it because they can. The worst they'll get is an understanding chat, probably the 93rd such.
    Birch them publicly. That's the level they're operating at.