1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do with an iPad or Tablet?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rockmeamadeus, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I've just brought (for myself, with my own money) a Motorola Xoom tablet. It's an Android device (as opposed to an iPad). It cost £299, and has some useful stuff for music teaching:
    • A free four track recorder application - simple but effective
    • A free MP3 recorder application which produces passable recording quality (in mono)
    • A 5mp camera on the back that takes video - which you can instantly show back on the ten inch screen (useful for videoing performances) - it also takes stills of curse and the qaulity is as good a flip camera.
    • It accesses the internet for showing You Tube and other resources
    • It has Angry Birds on it
    • And skype
    • And I use it to look at this web site
    My school wants to buy some sort of device for students to use. I think this might be it. Does anyone else have experience of using these in the classroom?
    I absolutely love this device - I ues it every day. Yesterday evening I recorded the accompaniments for the grade on flute exam a student is taking so she can practice at home. I was able to instantly email the MP3 files to her. Brilliant - it took minutes.
    Check it!

2. I've just brought (for myself, with my own money) a Motorola Xoom tablet. It's an Android device (as opposed to an iPad). It cost £299, and has some useful stuff for music teaching:
    • A free four track recorder application - simple but effective
    • A free MP3 recorder application which produces passable recording quality (in mono)
    • A 5mp camera on the back that takes video - which you can instantly show back on the ten inch screen (useful for videoing performances) - it also takes stills of curse and the qaulity is as good a flip camera.
    • It accesses the internet for showing You Tube and other resources
    • It has Angry Birds on it
    • And skype
    • And I use it to look at this web site
    My school wants to buy some sort of device for students to use. I think this might be it. Does anyone else have experience of using these in the classroom?
    I absolutely love this device - I ues it every day. Yesterday evening I recorded the accompaniments for the grade on flute exam a student is taking so she can practice at home. I was able to instantly email the MP3 files to her. Brilliant - it took minutes.
    Check it!

3. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Lucky you!
    iMovie: load different video clips/animation onto iMovie. Give an iPad to each small group. Let them loose around the school, recording 'found' sounds as a soundtrack to the video. Play them back to the class: self- and peer-assessment.
    Recording their practice/composition sessions during music class, so they've got an ongoing folio of work. (though this could, of course, be done with a simple mp3 recorder or phone too!)

4. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Are you able to access the internet easily on these devices at school - several restrictions with us. Sounds very good though.

5. Thinking of buying 6 to go into our jamhubs so we can play instruments interactively, we can use podcasts to show how to play their instruments, they can record straight on to them through the jamhubs. Got a charity fund we are closing down sadly but need to spend the money. Think the students will love it as they love the new jamhubs we just bought.

6. Play angry birds.

7. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

Other than video recordings nothing you have mentioned cannot be done on a bog standard PC and easier/better.

Given the high price I cannot see a good reason for doing this.