1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do? Possible job change.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kkimirwin, Sep 12, 2020.

1. kkimirwin

kkimirwin New commenter

Hi there
    I have been in my current position (Maths teacher in a mainstream school) for 2 years.
    I teach mainly the low attaining students which includes many children with SEND - we have a high proportion of SEND and PP students.

Since my time at this school I have written a Maths scheme of work to help support those students who are struggling to access the mainstream scheme and I have developed the use of manipulatives within the department.
    Although I like my team and students I am increasingly frustrated with the way the SEND department is run, which has a daily impact on me because of the classes I teach. I feel like I am fighting for my students on a weekly basis.
    I also have a very early start every day as I take the train to and from school.

There is also no prospect at the moment of gaining responsibility (my HoD has been pushing for me to be 2nd in dept/TLR holder but because we have two assistant heads attached to our department the school have said this is not viable at the moment)

A SENCO job has just come up at another local school which does not require a SENCO qualification (can gain it whilst there), however the job description does require some experience that I don't currently have. The school is slightly closer so it would be a shorter commute. I am tempted to apply for it.

The other issue is that I have a Y11 class and am not happy about the thought of leaving them part way through their GCSE year.

SENCO jobs don't come up very often in my area, and obviously it may be highly likely that I wouldn't even get an interview, let alone the job.

I am very torn about what to do - so would be very grateful for any input/advice.
    Thank you for reading

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Go for it and see what happens.

Pomza and kkimirwin like this.
  3. wubbish

wubbish New commenter

Nothing ventured nothing gained. You might be just the person they're looking for. Good luck!

Pomza and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  4. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

APPLY!!!!! The experience will be a good one if you get an interview or not, you are literally losing nothing by applying

5. HenryV1

HenryV1 New commenter