1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do? Please advise!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by tartetatin, Feb 3, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi! Okay, here's my slight dilemma [​IMG].
    I have a job interview next week. All a bit last minute; I wasn't actually jobhunting when I stumbled across the ad! The post would start next month. It's at a boarding school and the role is more pastoral than teaching ... something I'm quite unused to. I'm excited and enthused nonetheless and after having had 3 children, I feel ready to get back to work on a part-time basis.
    Anyway, it turns out that the hours are fairly awkward. A couple of evenings a week (around 4-10pm) and a couple of full days (may start as early as 8am), one of which is a Saturday so my husband could look after our children.
    The childcare logistics feel a bit overwhelming at the moment, but I'll cross that bridge after interview *sticks head in sand*. Here's what I'm wondering though: rather than faff around with childminders, after school clubs, and with all of us going to different places each day (my kids are varied in age, with the eldest being 9) we're thinking of putting our children into the school ... not to board, it's a day school too! We had been strongly sending them to private school anyway. Would it be appropriate to ask at interview if there is a reduction in fees for staff? I'm guessing their answer will be a 'no' anyway, as I won't actually be classified as teaching staff. It's just that I feel I can't really move on with finding alternative suitable childcare until I know the answer to this, as it would be the easiest option. If you feel it's an unacceptable thing to ask at interview, please do feel free to say.
    While we're on the subject, do you think it's selfish of me to expect my husband to look after our girls all day on Saturday, after working hard all week? Is it unfair on the girls? What about the 2 evenings where he gets in after work and has to go into childcare mode? I don't want to make my lovely wee family unhappy, just so that their unfulfilled mother/wife can go back to work [​IMG]
    I should add that I won't have to work over the school holidays - it's a term time only job.
    Thanks so much in advance for reading and replying [​IMG]. I'll be really interested to hear your views.

2. Hi - I can see why this would be awkward for you especially in terms of asking OH to do the childcare. However, as a full-time working mum whose husband stays at home to look after them, I love being with them by myself. I try to take them to shops, to people's houses etc by myself to spend some time with them and to let Husband have a break.
    You can always ask!
    I would definitely ask about a reduction in fees at the school too - they may say yes!
    Good luck with the interview.

3. I can see the difficulties with childcare based on these hours, but if you can work it out then great! I don't think it is inappropriate to ask about reductions for children of staff at the school... I work abroad and it is quite normal for schools to advertise that as an incentive for teachers. I would just make sure that it sounds like you are asking as a way of making it work if you get the job, not that you want the job just to get the reduction, if you see what I mean?!

4. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Thank you so much to both of you for your replies. I now feel suitably reassured that it is acceptable to ask about a reduction in fees!
    To the second poster, you are absolutely right about asking it in such a way that it doesn't look like my main reason for applying ... which of course it isn't!
    Thanks very much again. Not sure if it will work out but I'll attend the interview and see what happens.

5. They may even tell you before you ask. Hope it goes well, I worked in a boarding school and I think all the staff had a reduction in fees- quite a perk of the job.