1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do next?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Skyler, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Skyler

Skyler New commenter

Hi all
    I'm in my 5th year of teaching and I've come to an impasse. My lesson observations are good to outstanding, my results are good (KS3 and KS4) and my classroom management is held as exemplory. I have a challenging form that (apparently) I do a good job with.
    Two years ago I moved schools to take up a post which promised AST status once I had gained the relevant evidence, however the AST funding has been withdrawn and this is no longer an option.
    My dept (core) have an excellent Head, two fabulous KS co-ordinators and no intention of appointing a 2nd. There is no movement for promotion within the departement at all at the moment. Pastoral responsibilities are fully allocated and no projects are offered out to "ordinary" teachers.
    My PM targets are aimed at P standards and these are progressing nicely, but I am stuck and I am heartily fed up. I have no responsibilities outside those of a classroom teacher and I want to progress.
    What would you do? There are no promotional moves available either here or anywhere else that I can drive to and I feel as if I am just marking time and becoming more expensive by the term.
    Anyone have any constructive suggestions for me?

2. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

If your personal circumstances allow it, perhaps moving further afield and relocating may be necesssary. However, if that is not an option, then realistically surely your only option is to ride it out while putting yourself forward for other local roles. Alternatively do you have anything you could offer if there are no projects being offered from higher up?
    It took me 3 cycles (2009, 10 and the end of the 10-11 academic year) to get the post I wanted, although my situation was different. However, I was frustrated where I was.
    I know you feel that time is ticking, but the way the job market is at the moment, it may be a while before things happen.

3. Skyler

Skyler New commenter

Thank you Bex... I think I know that I have to stay put and be thankful that I have a job, but sometimes I just need to be told that by someone else.
    Have you any suggestions for the sort of thing that I can offer? I already run an after school club and have PM targets to get involved in Pastoral work as much as possible.
    Thanks for responding.

4. marylamb

marylamb New commenter

Hi
    Speak to your head and let them know where you hope to take your career development and if there are any furhter steps you can take to progress. In this way, they are aware of your intention and if anything comes up, they may think of you. - In addition you will have an idea of the schools vision, are they tinking of opening up more positions??
    As already mentioned, it may be a case of moving, but the market is already very tight.
    But, in my experience, given the nature of schools, means that there is always someone falling pregnant, getting a promotion or leaving. Just wait for the window, it will open up. (Says the optimist me)
    Before everyone jumps on me: there is nothing wrong with leaving or falling pregnant - lol
    Hope this helps,
    malteser muncher

5. Do ask about things like management courses or masters degrees. While it might not be what you want, it will keep you busy in the short/medium term.

6. TEEP is the other thing you might look at.

7. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Can you volunteer to assist or lead on a project in your department?
    That way if you do decide to apply for a promotion elsewhere you can prove you have management skills.