1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do? Job advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nacca, May 17, 2011.

1. nacca

nacca New commenter

Hi
    I’ve been a ‘silent’ reader of the forums for a few years but I’m going round in circles at the minute not sure what to do! I’m currently employed as a part time teacher (0.5) in a school I used to love. A new head started in Sept and I feel desperately unhappy there now. New head has done nothing (directly) to upset me but he’s made colleagues cry (in front of children and parents!); threatened capability; changed things to be like his ‘old school’. There is an ‘atmosphere’ when he is in!
    I have been offered a permanent job nearer to home but less hours. There is a possibility extra hours may become available. It is for a head I know - I worked with her at another school. I know jobs are hard to get at this present moment in time but do I ‘jump ship’ to somewhere I’ll be happier? Or stay? Or do both and see how the ‘new’ post goes?
    I hope this makes sense and I apologise to those in difficult parts of the country who are struggling to get interviews, this is not meant to be insensitive.
    Thanks
    Nacca

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

It is always a tricky time when you are getting used to the new ways of working. When our new head started he didn't change anything for a while ... just sat back and observed how everything worked and used this time to gather information before deciding what he wanted to do. Everyone was on tenterhooks for months even though nothing had actually happened! It takes time to develop new relationships and build up trust.
    Do what you feel is best for you. Only you can decide if your current job is worth more than the prospects the other role may offer. Even though you may know the other head, you will be working with staff you don't yet know - although systems may well be familiar. It is unlikely the current situation will improve drastically as this is obviously the way this head will work.
    Sorry not to have any answers!
    Carrie [​IMG]

3. chocolate.eater

chocolate.eater New commenter

If I were you I would take the new post. You will spend a bit less on travel, gain time on not travelling so far and you will be working for a Head you know and trust.
    Your happiness and well being is really important and you may not get the chance of another job for a long time. There is even the chance of more hours in the future, so if that happens too, it would be perfect. Take the chance whilst you have it, as it doesn't sound like things will improve much where you are, in fact quite the opposite.
    Good luck[​IMG]

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I wouldnt hesitate to take the new job.

5. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I'd go - he might start on you next. Don't give him a chance - your school will go downhill. OF course if you can do both jobs try doing both for a bit.

6. nacca

nacca New commenter

Hi
    I posted my original message 2 months ago but thought I should reply to all those kind enough to offer support. (Or am I the only person who loves to know the outcome?)
    Long story short: I took the other job and got offered more hours than I'm doing now! So pleased I did it. I'm on an official countdown!
    Thank you to all those who replied (and Laramfl- I still look on Jobseekers and keep my fingers crossed for you!) x

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Thanks, it's good to know people care!