1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by September, Nov 1, 2010.

1. September

September New commenter

I have been the line manager for my own department and another department head of department for two years now, I have now been asked to line manage another head of department but they have said that they do not want to be managed by me. The boss has said that it has to happen but the person in question is resisting it. Any suggestions?

2. September

September New commenter

I have been the line manager for my own department and another department head of department for two years now, I have now been asked to line manage another head of department but they have said that they do not want to be managed by me. The boss has said that it has to happen but the person in question is resisting it. Any suggestions?

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

boss needs to talk to person?

4. Yes, Head needs to make it clear that the change is happening. You need to talk to person and try and establish what they are afraid of. Some of it might be fear which you can allay, some of it might be the kind of stuff that the head wants you to sort out. Good luck.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Tough.

6. behind the scenes you need to find out why this is needed so that you can deal with the issues as sensitively as possible (if possible!)

7. September

September New commenter

It is due to Faculty areas being created. There are now 6 Faculty areas in the school.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Leave it to the boss to sort out. It really isn't your problem at this stage. If they refuse to co-operate once the post is up and running, then you need to speak to your own line manager and complain. Until then, leave it to the boss!