1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do in assembly if you had the guts?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LapisLazuli, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

*celebrities

2. I could not publically embarass someone I loved.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

We caused a lot of excitement for lots of people yesterday..... and made a lot of people near and dear to us smile...
    I have lots of family and friends far away, and it's been so exciting being able to share this...wonderful event with them.... many just having spotted familiar faces on the news....

Are engagement parties wrong? You see I would never consider having a massive party.... Each to their own i think. Nothing is wrong if it feels right for you....

MyMark still can't believe I kept it a secret.... I am hopeless at keeping secrets.....:)
    I am rather gutted that while I spent... um.... a few thousand on the ring... he says he would have spent more!!! bum!!!

What would I do differently.... um....
    Possibly rehearse my kids more.... they kind of did all their bits without my intervention...:p
    Probably get a make-up artist in to do my make-up.... I only own about 4 items of make-up much to my kids horror :p

4. DaisysLot

Similarly.... I guess I am so in love I am not embarrassed to shout about it :)

5. Phoenixchild

exactly, each to their own, what's right for one couple isn't for another, i'm all for diversity, don't like engagement parties either and wouldn't even let my parents announce ours in the paper as they wanted!

glad you're both happy.xx

6. Congratulations Daisy.

Engagement parties are wrong-diddly-wrong, IMO.

7. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Daisy - I am thrilled for you. I couldn't have done it, you're soooo brave.

All the best
    m&c xx

8. DaisysLot

I am curiously more worried about the 'meeting with the parents' to discuss things.... We want a small wedding... and my Dad wants to invite my distant relatives and his random friends..... but wants to pay.... I would be happy with a decorated scout hut, and he wants a big hotel.....*sigh*

The thought of this meeting is making my palms sweat......and making me feel quite sick.... :p

9. Oh, congrats Daisy, which teacher were you on the clips?

10. Phoenixchild

if you pay you get the say, small and intimate sounds lovely.xx

11. Its so exciting Daisy ... wedding this year?

12. One of my tutor group has asked me to sing a solo in assembly to raise money for charity! I'm a science teacher though - not a music teacher!!!
    Not sure if I'll do it yet - I get really nervous singing in front of people

13. DaisysLot

You only have one life..... do it!

When you are old and grey.... do you want to look back and think how you did everything you thought of doing no matter how mad, random or challenging.... or do you want look back knowing you squashed all your mad, random or challenging thoughts? :)

Me.... i intend on doing everything I think of doing..... just because I can.... and sometimes definitely because someone tells me I can't, shouldn't or won't :)

14. A few years ago, two members of staff got engaged over a weekend. Then the following week the then Head called them to the front during assembly to announce it to the children, then she made them
    re-enact the proposal!

15. I thought it was a very brave thing to do and heartwarming to see those in the video enjoying the experience. on the other hand it is rather exhibitionist and not very 'english' but we are a culture very influenced by america.

I think you should always do what YOU feel in your heart to be right and some very bitter people have responded on this thread in unnecessarily acid tones.

Lapis i hope you went ahead despite the negativity on this thread - only you could know if it was appropriate for your school. You are obviuosly neither of the teachers in the videos posted however I hope it went well!

16. Phoenixchild

i disagree, i don't think that people who have responded negatively are bitter, they just have a different opinion on the matter.

daisy did what she did, knowing, i suspect, that it would be right for her and her partner.

those who have said it wasn't for them are just as entitled to their opinion.

i'm sorry daisy, i hope you understand what i'm about to say, i do find public displays of intimacy cringeworthy, that's MY opinion. saying that there are others who find it romantic, sweet etc. fair do's, diversity makes the world interesting. but do not assume that people are bitter because they don't think the same as the op, how incredibly judgemental and assumptious!

17. DaisysLot

There is never anything wrong with people disagreeing....:)

Perhaps though, we should go get married just the two of us :p I hate the idea of anyone being offended by a public display of intimacy :p

I personally love a happy ending..... for anyone.... and having made a mint writing books about heartbreak the irony is not lost on me..... and well.... Friday for me wasn't a happy ending but so much as a very happy beginning to a journey.....

18. Phoenixchild

daisy, i wasn't getting at you, i hope you know, i am genuinely pleased for you. it was rather the poster who thought we who didn't go in for such public displays of affection were "bitter and twisted".

i also hope things worked out for lapis lazuli, however much it's not my cup of tea.xx

19. DaisysLot

Not at all PC....:)

I am sure those who disagree aren't really bitter at all.... But as someone else raised..... as a moment of psychology observation (ever the teacher you know) it is interesting... genuinely interesting.... how people were so quick to cut down a 'strangers' idea.... but be pleased for a regular poster..... Perhaps an indication of how we, as humans, find it easier to be cynical and a little scathing to people we perceive as not knowing..... and easier to be happy for those we feel we have a connection with.....

Um... by the way TES peeps.... I have been here a bloody long time... and as the national press managed to turn up :p i feel thoroughly unappreciated as you lot didn't make an appearance :p

20. Well if you had sent out invitations ......