1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do if.........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ninenotes, Dec 23, 2015.

1. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

You went to the cash machine and the last person had left money in it?

This happened when I was out earlier on.

2. PussyGraves

PussyGraves Occasional commenter

Give them their money.

3. ninenotes

There was nobody around.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Did you spot the money while the person who left it was still within reach?

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Crossed posts.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I suppose it would depend on where the cash machine was situated - outside a supermarket and the person could be in the shop.

7. ninenotes

It was outside a bank on a busy street. No way of telling who'd left it.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Hand it in to the bank.

9. ninenotes

That's what I did. I asked the girl if there was any way of tracing who'd used the machine before me and she said ha ha ha, maybe, but don't worry we'll find a home for it.

I wish I'd spent it.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What GDW said... in an ideal world

In a bad world... run away cackling 'mine all mine mwhahahahaha'

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I would have thought the bank would easily be able to identify the user before you by their card details. In any case the person who left it may well go back to the bank and ask if it's been handed in. Returning it to the bank is obviously the right thing to do.

ilovesooty, ScotSEN and Dragonlady30 like this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If it weren't near a bank then I might hand it in to the police (large amount) or give to charity????

But it's never happened.

I mean to say. How do you do that? Leave the cash in the machine? I can see me walking off and realising a few seconds later but not forgetting for long enough not to go back and retrieve it.

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A friend of mine left the card in the machine and went back to the bank the next day, it had been handed in. This was in another country where we were warned to beware of pickpockets. Thankfully, most people are honest.

If the ATM is outside a shop I'd hand it into customer services if it was one of those in a phone box or unattached to anything I'm not sure what I'd do. Charity like grumpydogwoman said maybe.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

The vast majority of bank cash machines are covered by cctv now so they may be able to track the "owner" by finding the OP on there and seeing who was last/tracing the bank details
    They may do that or they may not bother

15. ninenotes

She didn't ask me for any ID.....

16. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'm sure that she will recognise you in the video :)

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

This happened at my bank when I went to the note and coin sorter. About £40 left in the reject till. I gave to a teller.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  18. ninenotes

True but she didn't give me the impression something will be done about it.

My guess is it will be left on her desk until tomorrow then it will be a case of, who does this belong to? Nobody? Why don't we put it in the New Year party fund?

19. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The bank could tell who last used the cashpoint (or at least from which account it came from) and how much was taken out. They can also see from the machine's camera an image of who requested the money and also see who actually took it.

Don't forget that will also be cameras inside the branch so anyone handing it in will be acknowledged and the bank cashier will not be able to pocket it themselves (which I'm sure they wouldn't).

If its outside banking hours then you have a problem but you could go back the next day or hand it into a Police Station ( good luck trying to find one open).

I believe (although never tested it) that the machine will take back in any money its dispensed if its not picked up within a certain time period.

20. ninenotes

So I should go back tomorrow and get it off the Santander cashier?