1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do if...

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by outdoormaths, Jun 9, 2015.

1. outdoormaths

outdoormaths New commenter

The school secretary passed away of a sudden heart attack last night. She worked at the school for 25 years. Would you close the school for her funeral?

Thank you

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Is your post reporting fact or inviting speculation?

Sadly, I do not think a death can justify the closure of the whole school.

However, what you might want to do is to arrange for a representative pupil from each class to attend the funeral, provided they are of a suitable age.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

If there are lots of staff who would like to attend I would consider it, or a part closure, in the same way as a school might if teacher were to have passed away?. All staff are equal members of the school community and if she's front line and well known pupils and parents this might be appropriate. The size of school too may inform the decision? without sounding callous, in a large comprehensive with 70+ staff maybe not?

4. jellandy

jellandy New commenter

This happened at my son's primary school and they did close the school for the funeral. Years ago, my then Head closed the school when a previous Chair of Govs passed away and when a parent passed away, for staff to attend the funerals. All were / are village primary schools, so I guess, to a degree, the context is relevant.

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

in my last school, a very small one, i think the whole village would have shut for the funeral had our secretary died. she had been there nearly 30 years and had seen several generations come through the school. When she retired, the 'school do' was packed out with parents and friends, plus loads of ex parents.