1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do if:

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Jan 4, 2012.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

You had some free tutoring being offered by a one to one literacy tutor. Would you take it up? What would you want the one to one tutoring to consist of? Do you think one to one tutoring is a good way of raising an individual's literacy standards? How would you wish to work with the tutor? What knowledge of the pupils do you think they would need to work effectively?

2. mystery10

You had some free tutoring being offered by a one to one literacy tutor. Would you take it up? What would you want the one to one tutoring to consist of? Do you think one to one tutoring is a good way of raising an individual's literacy standards? How would you wish to work with the tutor? What knowledge of the pupils do you think they would need to work effectively?

3. Who for? You? Your own children? Children in your class?
    Or are you the one offering the tutoring?

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

A mystery posted by mystery!

5. mystery10

Oh sorry to be so confusing (or mysterious). I volunteer one to one at one primary school and I would like to expand this to more schools. It's not that easy to get voluntary work one to one, so I thought it might help me to understand what a variety of primary teachers would want. That way it might make it easier for me to be "accepted". Hope that makes a bit more sense. This is why my questions are quite vague too as I don't really know what I need to know!!

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It really depends on the school we prefer to keep children in the classroom rather than withdraw for 1-1 support.
    1-1 support is normally delivered by a teacher outside of normal teaching time so that it is additional to rather than a substitute for normal lessons.
    Like most schools we are always happy to welcome volunteers ... but in the class.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We would probably have you like a shot! IF we could decide when you came, which classes/children and what you did.

8. mystery10

Those are pretty much answers I expected. Thanks for replying. I think theirin lies the difficulty in what I am asking of schools when I put myself forward to volunteer. To clear away the mystery a little further, I am undertaking a distance learning course in literacy difficulties. All our assignments have to be underpinned by practical experience, and include some "research' (in very vague terms) into a problem related to our practical experience. Some autonomy in our work is needed to be able to carry out the assignments well and and to ultimately apply for BDA accreditation.
    When I started the course I did not realise that it was so "work-based" - it was not clear until I had embarked on the full venture. I thought the distance learning module would be theoretical and I could sort the other aspects out at a later date.
    As I am a volunteer in the primary sector, not a teacher (I am qualified but in a different phase, different subject) it is hard to expect schools to give the level of "autonomy" needed to successfully complete the course. Also, for personal reasons I can only offer my time during the school day so I am needing it to be schools who are willing for children to leave lessons for additional support.
    To further complicate things I feel that the piece of "research" we are expected to carry out will be tricky to do from a voluntary role. It will involve needing data relating to specific children with literacy difficulties, and gathering "qualitative data" from the children themselves, teachers, parents etc etc. I'm very hesitant to ask the school I currently volunteer at.
    Any further ideas welcome.