1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do if you found out a colleague's been taking your planning and passing it off as their own?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by green ted, May 9, 2011.

1. Sorry to hear this. Just wanted to say that. I am sure others in the school know it is your work. There's a similar in my school although all is copied off the Internet. Mind you they are popular with the head. Well as much as anyone can be popular with my head

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes you are right to be annoyed.

Possibly your personal opinions of that person are affecting your reaction, but you have those opinions for a reason.
    Just let it be. There is at least one in every school and whoever has the misfortune to work with them always gets annoyed. Nothing can be done. If you have a good HT they will be aware.

Think of ways to ask your HT for a move to a different year group next year without saying 'because I hate so and so'!

3. Start 'forgetting' to put yours in the shared file. You may get away with it for a week or 2 before you are reminded by SLT then you could put them on and the other person couldnt use them!

4. How good is he/she at IT? If you put your name in the header or footer do you think he/she could figure out how to remove it?

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

If they can't work that out then they definitely need to be exposed.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

If you use Microsoft Office 2007 you can save it as a PDF file. Alternatively, use a Word to PDF converter such as http://www.doc2pdf.net/
    It will not stop your colleague from hijacking your ideas, but may well stop them from hijacking your planning sheets.
    They could still cut and paste, mind, but may well not know how to do this.

7. Alternatively you could create a new document titled Maths Planning W/b 9th May and just write:
    "Acknowledge my work or do it yourself Mrs X"
    I think they may well get the message.

8. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Unfortunately, I have, in the last 20 years, worked with many "colleagues" who do this.
    Like you, I used to get annoyed, but now, whether it's age or wisdom?! I just think let them get on with it, I will always have lots of ideas for what to do and I have been proven right.
    One thing I have started doing though is to put a footer on each thing I produce which has my initials, the date and a reference to the sheet e.g. rs/5/11/mpa etc.in tiny font. When others ask what it is, I pass it off as some personal system that helps me to find things I've done more easily. Truth is I can never remember what the code means, but it makes me feel that I have put my mark on it- whether or not it stops anyone else using it, I don't know.
    Keep being original and creative, but make sure you save your best ideas for a good audience- SMT or advisor or in weekly staff meetings get known as someone who has ideas and DON'T mention them to anyone prior to that forum! Good luck.

9. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I had a colleague who used to take my planning and pass it off as her own. What about making your planning as loose as you can, so use bullet points or quite vague statements which mean something to you and then in the activities, or put sheet numbers instead so that you could still use it but someone trying to copy it might find it quite hard!

Or you could just think to yourself that they may well be copying your plans, but if someone were to come and watch their lesson and yours, theirs wouldn't be anywhere near as good as yours because it's all copied!

10. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Thanks for all your replies. Sadly they have very good IT skills so just naming things won't work but you're right, the people who need to know will be able to tell its my work rather than their's. Having had a day to cool off a bit, I now feel more sorry for them than anything else - they're a miserable old *** who doesn't want to be in work and who no-one likes. I'd much rather be me than them!