1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you do? - Ideas wanted

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, Jan 28, 2011.

1. pencho

pencho New commenter

Can anyone help me with the following?
    If you were HOD and could do anything with the structure of the organisation of the maths curriculum in your secondary school what would you do.
    e.g. GCSE when the student is ready.
    No referal to KS3/KS4/KS5 - a series of seamless pathways.
    Different style of lesson.
    Vertical teaching groups.

All thoughts and ideas welcomed.

2. pencho

pencho New commenter

Fantastic comments everyone. I'm trying to put together a curriculum structure that as you say gets away from the KS3 ends here, this is where KS4 starts etc... Instead of pupils sitting exams at set points, I am thinking that they want to sit it when they and the teacher feel they are ready. Not sure fully yet how things will work in practice.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on vertical teaching in maths? For example we could next year potential timetable students from Y9 to Y11 together (as the year group is going to be slplit into 5 bands).
    I will respond more fully later to several of the points above.
    Thank you so much and keep the ideas coming.

3. Very thought-provoking lecture Brookes. I enjoyed watching it. Something has to change. However, the rate at which academies are springing up, fills me with so much apprehension.

4. We had the discussion about discontinuity between Key Stages on another thread and I can but concur with previous posters, it's absolutely ludicrous. When you look at the GCSE there is generally very little new content in it for most students.

I think much of what Betamale commented on numeracy is very, very true. In general there seems to be too much of a push to get all pupils through 9 or 10 qualifications when for some more time focussing on the basics of maths and english would reap far more dividends.

The idea of personalised learning sounds great in theory but how does one apply it in reality? I think sitting them on a computer in front of MyMaths or something similar isn't really what it should be about. What have others done about this?

I know in my own school I've been tempted to enter some for GCSE at the end of Year 9 on the basis that at least they might achieve a grade before all the distractions of being a teenager in a big city kick in.