1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you be looking for...

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by suziQ, May 14, 2011.

1. Sorry if I am stating the obvious but most schools now employ a proper HR bod for recruitment rather than a Headteacher skimming the returns and they will be looking at your application with a fine toothcomb to see that you meet the person specification.

So make sure you read the PS thoroughly and ensure your covering letter and CV ticks all the essential and as many of the desirable boxes as possible. Technically they should always offer an interview if you match up with this specification - if you think it does but still don't get called for interview - phone them up and ask why not - any feedback is always useful.
    Ask a friend or colleague to proof read your application - it is very easy to let typos slip in and having a fresh pair of eyes look over it is often useful.
    I have been grateful to use many of your resources on TES which are excellent by the way so I imagine it won't be long before you get sorted!

Good luck

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Well I've been applying since this time last year... and I make sure the person spec is always ticked off.
    I've
    called a few for feedback but I've just been told they've been
    inundated with applicants and they can't possibly give me feedback. [​IMG]
    I really just can't see me being able to get back into teaching at all if I don't get a post for September.
    Thanks for thats SuziQ just feeling a bit disheartened ATM. x

3. Don't get too discouraged - I've just been looking at the jobs section and there are quite a number this week - this is the time of year that people move jobs, so hopefully there will be more for you to apply to.
    If the schools can't be bothered to give you feedback then think yourself lucky, as that is just unprofessional.
    Chin up!

4. TES Resource Team

TES Resource Team Occasional commenter Institute Enrolment Advisor

Littlemissraw have you been able to show your resources to these school's that you have applied for? If you have, then they should have offered you the job over the phone! I know there are rules etc etc blah blah, but go and see if you can take a look around prior to application. Ask if you can visit after hours,meet the HOD and take your resources with you. I review the TES resources on a weekly basis and as stated previously on this forum, you produce the most stunning pieces of work, any self respecting HOD would bite your arm off. So start shaking some hands and if you need one I will personally give you a reference based on the resources you have submitted. I have just written a top ten resource piece for the TES magazine (coming out next couple of issues) and yet again your work was mentioned.
    A simple change of approach will pay off, the schools are looking at the experience and not focussing on the talent and potential, which also begs the question, would you want to work for people like this anyway??
    Cheers
    Spencer Herbert
    TES DT Advisor
    www.accessfm.com

5. littlemissraw

Thanks Spencer. I may take you up on that if you don't mind.
    I hope some more schools come up next week and I'll give what you've suggested a shot. It can't be any less sucessful lol. x

6. TES Resource Team

TES Resource Team Occasional commenter Institute Enrolment Advisor

That's the spirit!!
    And yes I can give you a reference in regard to the resources you have posted, no problem.

7. foxbat

foxbat New commenter

As a HOD I would jump at the chance to work with you. Your resources and ideas tell a fantastic picture of what you are capable of and your enthusiasm leaps from the web. I am sadly unable to offer you any job I'm afraid, but I will suggest that you make sure to visit the school when possible before interview, try to spend some time with the HOD and get the lowdown, informal chats help enormously in building a relationship, that if you get called for interview will help in you getting your foot in the door. At times that first visit opens your eyes to the real situation at a school that often times gets covered up at interview stage.
    Send out letters to all your local schools, on the off chance they are looking bupt haven't advertised yet. I did this in London and got offered 2 jobs.

Lastly and this may get moderated, there are other teaching job websites eteach is a good place to look.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom

8. littlemissraw

Thanks Tom. No new jobs this week though :,( well not unless I can do textiles or electronics and no experience in either. Do try a number of sites including all local councils. X

9. littlemissraw

Just to update you I finally have an interview on Friday! Not counting my chickens as theres 6 of us and the day shows a group task which I'm a bit worried about but its definately a start [​IMG]

10. good luck :)

11. littlemissraw

Thanks Christel x

12. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

If you do not get that job then I want the Head of school to post of all the reasons on this site and fully explain themselves. Good luck you'll do fine.
    ps. As promised if you need a reference based on what's been posted on resource section then just ask.
    Cheers
    Spencer

13. finamar

finamar New commenter

Good luck!

14. littlemissraw

Thanks finamar, thanks Spencer!
    I can't let him do that and expose all my flaws [​IMG] but if I did get it just think how many more resources I could make for fellow TESsers (feel free to bribe the school for me, lol)
    I'll update you all with how I get on. Thanks again for the message, they're easing my nerves a little. [​IMG]
    I used you in my covering letter Spencer so thank you for that. Will you be at the TES awards?

15. Spencer_DT

Glad I could be of service, not sure how I am fixed yet but if I do go be sure to come up and say hello, cheers
    Spencer

16. Good luck!
    I also have an interview Friday - thankfully, by the sounds of it, it's not the same as yours... You have no idea how relieved I am! ;)

17. littlemissraw

Aww thank you misspixie thats so sweet of you to say! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and pray we can both celebrate this weekend....aggghh panic panic lol [​IMG]

18. littlemissraw

As the kids would say EPIC FAIL for me. Hope yours went better miss pixie...? xx

19. Spencer_DT

***!!!
    Did they have an internal candidate by any chance? what feedback did you get?
    Sorry to hear this news, not great.
    Spencer[​IMG]

20. littlemissraw

Nope, no internal. We can call for feedback on Mon.
    The group task was a list of pupils (just numbers) their grades, info on G&T or SEN and what they should be achieving. We had 20 min to note down what we would put in place to bring their grades up and a relevant timeline. I don't think I did well at all on that.
    Lesson was okay I think but didn't 'pop' as well as I would have liked, think I maybe tried to cram too much into 20 min.
    Guess it just wasn't meant to be...
    Thanks for the messages though, means alot at the mo x