1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would you advise?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Mr Sir, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Mr Sir

Mr Sir New commenter

Hi All.

I'll be returning to London after several years of working abroad and looking for a new position for September. I am in Europe and only a short flight away. However, I have been thinking that to relinquish my current post at the end of the Autumn term and return to London at the beginning of April (the Summer term) may make the task of finding a job slightly easier. For a start, I would already be there and available to interview at the drop of a hat etc.

The other option is staying put, and perhaps facing the prospect of multiple interviews which would mean taking days off work, the expense of flights and accommodation and not being as flexible as other candidates already in the region. It seems many employers lately are interviewing as applications come in rather than waiting until after application deadlines. Would I be at a great disadvantage if were not already in the region?

I'd be very interested to hear informed views.

Thank you

2. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

You might end up paying through the nose for flights - some places have extremely fast turnarounds.

The last three schools I interviewed for had only a handful of days between the deadline and the interview date. One was a Monday deadline for an interview Wednesday, another Tuesday for Thursday. The place that finally employed me had a generous two days between the deadline and the interview. These days were the weekend.