1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would my Mum like for her birthday?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ResourceFinder, Apr 19, 2011.

1. I am 48 ... I like singstar and Wii games and am hoping for the new Narnia DVD for Easter

Other things I would like

I am always keen on nice Pot Pourri (for the hall or loos)

Anything from

> Oil and Vinegar

> HobbyCraft

> The evil Hotel Chocolat

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm a couple of years older than your mum...damn, but it makes me feel old to realise I could be mum to some of you young whippersnapper TESers!
    My favourite gift from anyone and for any occassion has to be an Amazon gift voucher! You can't go wrong. Or I have a gift list et up on Amazon so people can find something in their price range....and remember Amazon sell pretty much anything and everything not just books and DVDs.
    If I was able to get out. I would simply adore to go to a really good restaurant (Rick Stein's would be a favourite)
    Or how about a massage - I was treated to a massage at home. Head and back, with wonderful scented oils for about £25 I think.
    Or as you made up a gardening hamper last year, how about a cookery bag (eco shopping bag, maybe a cook book, a good olive oil, maybe some fresh spices?)...or a home-spa night? (Individual bottle of wine, scented candle, posh bubbly-bath, small box of decent chocolates and a glossy mag)?

3. I was going to suggest a cookery workshop (you know, one of those one off sessions) but having seen your budget, probably too expensive.
    How about some accessories for the garden? Does she have a patio?
    As for dads - no idea. Last time we asked dad he wanted some paint for his boat [​IMG]

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

a bottle of veuve clicquot

5. Thanks for all of your ideas! My Mum loved her pamper hamper :)

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

My daughter asks me every year what I'd like for my birthday and Christmas. I tel her to save her money.
    She persists and I ask her to buy me a lottery ticket, which she does, albeit the wrong one, and then chooses somehing she'd thnk I might find useful.
    A couple of years ago it was some gloves and a scarf. I can't say what happened to the scarf, but the gloves have been a boon to me from last November through till February.I don't know how I'd have fared withoutout them in my new eco-warrior role of bus and train travel, caring the shopping home in harsh weather and the like.
    Maybe get her some tap shoes and enrole her on a tap-dancing class?
    At 47 she's still young enough to enjoy herself like she was eighteen. Arrange a blind date for her and pay for the meal.
    Buy her a ukelele and a video showing her how to play it.
    A haircut she'd like.
    A posh tin to keep her toenail clipings in or a god pair of toenail clippers.
    A decent torch.
    A false beard.
    A set of jugglimg balls.
    A box set of Mills and Boon novels.
    A housebreaking jemmy and a balaclava.
    Do alll her washing and ironing for a month and treat yourself as though you'd been paid to do it.

7. She likes cooking but lives alone - what about some nice crockery? Just a single setting. If you got Wedgeood you might only get a dinner ate and maybe a soup bowl but it is something you can add to for future birthdays.

You could also get something like really nice salt and pepper pots - the kind of thing you would never buy for yourself.

8. impis

impis New commenter

A pole so she can keep fit by doing some pole dancing in her living room.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The Jelly Book and some old fashioned glass jelly moulds in lovely shapes-you can find them in charity shops.