1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would make the BEST website for teachers?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Elohim, Mar 19, 2011.

1. We've all been to supposedly good websites only to find resources nothing more than water off a duck's back. And yes, there are some good ones out there, but most seem to be promising on the surface before ensnaring the teacher with reams of links to yet more useless websites with personalised mathematics words problems, worksheets written on the back of a cigarrette packet and presentations that are well, just ****.
    So my question is - how could we create the ultimate resource website for teachers? A polished "Google Resource" for the busy teacher?
    Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Who are 'we'?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Honestly? I don't think it is possible for one site to please everyone. Teachers are individuals and as such look for different things in their resources.

4. I do agree there's a lot of utter **** out there - a lot of it can be found in the teachers' resources section here, but for complete turd look no further than primaryresources.co.uk
    Part of the problem though is teachers using too many resources. One of my colleagues is forever googling for worksheets to chuck at the kids, and he chucks them at me too so that I can chuck them at my kids. Mostly, they get chucked in the bin or the scrap paper tray. Some of it is ok, most of it is **** and rarely is it decent. The same can be said for a lot of textbooks.
    Less is more. But it's almost too easy to make and upload stuff so the gens get drowned in a sea of ****. What we need are fewer resources of a higher quality. I guess we'd need a rating system of some sort, or to rank resources by downloads. If you look at the comments on the TES resources "fab, thanks! perfect!!! just what I needed etc etc etc) you get the feelings some people aren't particularly choosy and make effusive comments and high ratings before they bother to give the stuff to the kids.

5. In fact TES resources is probably as good as it gets.