1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would Jesus do?

Discussion in 'English' started by TwistedAdonis, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Hello all,

after many years in a different
    field, I recently turned my efforts to securing some experience working as a TA
    in a secondary school prior to applying for a PGCE (English). As it turns out,
    I landed a job as Librarian in a small secondary (apologies to the qualified
    Librarian I replaced). Perfect! I am now torn as to whether to pursue a
    teaching career or an MA in library science. This is not why I am posting
    though.

I have just started attending
    some classes as a TA and today was appalled by what I heard in the classroom.
    The subject was Shakespeare’s life and times. If you can spot the errors in the
    following, then I want your advice:
    • Mary, Queen of Scots was Elizabeth Tudor's sister
    • The Spanish Armada was the English fleet that
      fought the Spanish
    • The Anglo-Spanish Wars were over ‘some land or
      something’
    • James VI/I was a Catholic
    These statements (just a few of
    many similar ones) were made by the teacher! I really don’t want to cause
    umbrage with said teacher (also my manager) by pointing out all the erroneous points they made,
    but I fear for the education of the kids. What would you do? Does it matter?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends. Was it in the contxt of an oral lesson where the teacher just made a slip& children probably won't remember? Or have they actually written down the incorrect information?
    If the former credit the teacher with an off-day- the primary teacher has to be an expert in EVERY curriculum area which is nigh impossible, so cut her some slack.
    If they have written incorrect info possibly try to treat it as a " I liked the technique of how you made some 'deliberate mistakes' for the more able children to spot.

3. Thanks for the response, but the this is an English teacher in a secondary school. It was all Power-pointed and the kids were instructed to make detailed notes.

4. Yes. I'd check their books. If they've actually copied down incorrect 'facts', I'd ask the teacher to correct his/her mistake. No teacher should be afraid of admitting when they're wrong

5. This does not really surprise me. I have discovered that most people's grasp of history is incredibly feeble.
    I apologise in advance for mentioning spelling again, but that's one history I have been investigating very thoroughly for over 10 years now. I have been appalled by the wrong claims made about it, not just on power points but in text books for teachers too. Most people have no idea how English spelling ended up in such a mess, but mouth off about it as if they know, and constantly tell children packs of lies too.
    As to what to do about it, if u were not observing the class, nobody would know about the teacher's mistakes. Depends on how much u feel like stirring, how long u will be there. I really don't know what I would do. The thing that worries me most on the 400th anniversary of the KJB is telling pupils that James I was a catholic.
    Elizabeth was a Tudor after all, the Armada was a bit complicated and wars are rarely just about one thing, but the history of the English bible is a big deal for me. it was for queen Beth too, as well as James.

6. Perhaps you could assume that the powerpoint was not the teacher's own work and send an email to the HOD or Curriculum Leader listing the mistakes and referring to them as 'minor errors' which need to be corrected before the powerpoint is presented again. Is the powerpoint on a shared drive - if so save it and attach to your email. Don't personalise it or express opinion in any way. If it was clearly the teacher concerned who made the powerpoint then just send the email to her (or him) and leave it at that.

7. Some of these might just be slips of the tongue. You can make anyone sound like an idiot byy transcribing their spoken language verbatim.
    However we've entered a cycle of decline. As the education system gets worse, it becomes progressively more difficult to find teachers who themselves have been well-taught.