1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would it take for you to give up smoking?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, May 20, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Will the plain green cigarette packs convince you or anyone to give up or not take up smoking?

Even the smoking inside ban has not been that successful.

Look at how popular outdoor heaters have become. My local restaurants are packed outside with smokers and their friends eating meals in coats, hats and gloves during the winter.

What is your take. I for one do not smoke but smokers I know, do not care what the packet looks like because they already know what is inside.

les25paul likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't think I know anyone who smokes any more.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's not about making people give up. It's about making it look so disgusting and uncool that young people see it as an old person's addiction and don't start.

sabrinakat, nomad, sbkrobson and 3 others like this.
  5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Unfortunately some young people go straight to vapeing now.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I see a lot less people smoking out and about since the smoking ban. That, combined with the alternative of vaping, appears to have had a real impact on the number of people smoking. I would guess that the plain packets will have less impact than those factors.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You can always tell when someone is vapeing

You get a cloud of white smoke that looks like what you used to get from steam trains back in the day.

Except it's probably safer to smoke a steam train.

delmamerchant, nomad, Pomz and 2 others like this.
  8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I'm not sure why a green packet and grim pictures is going to deter someone from smoking if they choose to.

Whats to stop the smoker taking the cigs out of the unpleasant packet and putting them into a rather natty cigarette case? :confused:

upload_2017-5-20_21-9-42.jpeg

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The plumes of vapour I see coming out of some car side windows makes me half expect to see excited 1950s schoolboys running alongside. :)

The time my chain-smoking Gran spent wheezing and dying of lung cancer when I was a kid, instead of being the sort of Gran that most other kids had, is what made me leave the ciggies well alone. Harsh but true.

monicabilongame likes this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Double the price every year.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  11. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

They do tend to die younger.

12. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I quit when my mum was diagnosed with leukemia. I was living abroad - went cold turkey on the plane on the way home. I knew that as soon as she was well enough the first question she'd ask was 'Do you still smoke?' Didn't want to have to say 'Yes'.

delmamerchant likes this.
  13. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I've never smoked because - despite being brilliant, loving, amazing parents - I learned how gross it is from my parents.

My parents quit when I said I wouldn't be taking my baby son into their nicotine-stained, smoke-filled house if they were smoking around him. They moved outside, liked the new, clean smell and the smaller financial outlay, and stuck with it. It didn't help in the long run - my mother died of cancer directly caused by smoking and my father is also ill with smoking-related cancer.

Tell you what. Bring the smokers round to my dad's and we'll show them the 'before lung cancer' and 'after lung cancer' photos of my mother. That should work.

14. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I can only think of one person who smokes.

But why would you?

15. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It was my wife's continual moaning about it that did it for me, few years ago now...

That and the insane prices.

16. Postduif

Postduif Occasional commenter

One of the things my daughter took a very long time to forgive me for saying was this:

She: "Dad, I've started smoking,,,,,"

Me: "Fair enough, if that's the way you want to die......"

For the record, I stopped smoking 35 years ago, when her younger sister was born.

nomad likes this.
  17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I gave up smoking nearly 30 years ago. The hardest and most difficult thing that I have ever done in my life.

delmamerchant likes this.
  18. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

When I was 16 yrs old, I calculated how much my parents had spent on smoking in their lifetime. It was the price of a small house!!

It's not just the death an average of -- what is it ? -- 10 years earlier, --
    https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/23/putting-a-number-to-smokings-toll/?_r=0
    -- but also the quality of life and the poor health you have to live through to get there to the 10 years earlier.

I used to wait for a pupil to point out that they had a grandparent who smoked and was 80 years old and I would explain that the figure of 10 years came from actually counting the deaths and taking an average age, so for every person who got to 80 and smoked there would be someone who had lost twice or much more than the average 10 years.

I used to do a small role play. I enter a tobacconist.

"Good morning. Could I please have something to fill my lungs with burnt paper and vegetation smoke particles and soot, which would also coat my lungs in tar. You know, that sticky black stuff they use to glue the stones down on the road every summer. Yep, just like that!

Also can you get it to burn the hairs off inside my nose so that I can no longer filter out all the dust and germs so that they all end up in my lungs. Look, look at all the dust dancing in this sunbeam through the window (hopefully it is a sunny day!)

Oh, and the device will emit CO (carbon monoxide) which locks up the haemoglobin protein in my red blood cells so that effectively I suffer bodily damage because the oxygen can not get to my brain and muscles. ( You will have had to have been in one of my lessons concerning how toxic CO is to fully understand this.)

And I want it to make my gums soft and widen the spaces between my teeth and make my teeth fall out. And before my teeth fall out I want them to look stained and yellow. And stain my fingers as well. And I want it to make me smell, particularity when I kiss the opposite sex! And make my skin go prematurely wrinkly like an old person! And I want to have that sort of red eyed lining to my eyes caused by the caustic smoke drifting up my face.

Yep, I want something to take 10 years off my life and give me lung cancer. What!! -- how much did you say??!!"

Shop keeper "£(The current price of 10 fags ) !!"

needabreak likes this.
  19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I used to smoke a lot.
    You need to remember every smoker knows why it's bad. Describing why it's bad doesn't stop people smoking-it's an addiction.
    I read Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking-I suppose you'd call it a Self Help Book, but that always sounds a bit trite to me,which this book is not.
    He basically says you're free to take it or leave it but don't forget you smell like sh*t.
    He also says that as a smoker you are flawed in your thinking and not to be trusted in caring for your body, but it's fine to carry on if you want to-it's a free world.
    He says you musn't judge yourself badly if you continue to smoke, but don't forget you smell like sh*t.
    O, and it can kill you. But it's your life, so just go ahead, carry on smoking (and smelling gross)
    It does hurt others, so you could let that bother you or not. Depends what sort of person you are.
    On and on and on and on like this for the whole book

Smokers tend to resist give-it-up books even if they read them, I expect because they seem to be preachy-don't do this, it's bad, you'll die. At some point in the future. They don't have a huge success rate. But this book is way more immediate; to smoke does not make sense in any way shape or form. It's not about the health aspect, it's about making you realise how wrong your thinking is every time you reach for a cigarette.

So now I only stink of gin.

sabrinakat and TCSC47 like this.
  20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

In order to give it up, I'd have to start. ;)