1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What would happen if

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Progressnerd, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

This is purely hypothetical but what would happen if you came across an SLT member from a former school (not necessarily your last school before the one you're in now) who made your life a misery/bullied etc and you had a few strong words for them?

Also note there's no settlement agreement or 'gagging clause' etc you just left before you were pushed.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Just leave them alone - what is to be gained.

3. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

In what context are you meeting them?

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

5. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

Say you saw them in a supermarket.

I'm sure none of us would ever do this btw just wondering.

6. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Just ignore them

7. BehaviourQueen

BehaviourQueen New commenter

If you still feel that strongly about it I suggest you get some kind of therapy, and I mean this most sincerely. There is nothing to be gained from holding so much anger inside. If you do say something, they will know that what they did still has an affect on you.

As said above, rise above it.

They invested no personal/emotional time on you, don’t grant them any on your behalf.

8. grumpydogwoman

Simply ignore them. Why bother to do anything else?

9. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Be angry and let them know your thoughts and feelings without making a scene.

It's constructive feedback.

Speak truth to power.

10. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Nothing to gain, but potentially a future problem.

11. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Trouble is - while you would like them to know what you think of them, they simply don't care and would probably take great delight and satisfaction at realizing that they were still having a negative effect on you. They would probably play the victim and make you out to be the villain.
    We all hope that bad things will happen to bad people, and the idea of exacting revenge does have some appeal but ultimately your best revenge is to get on with your life, enjoy yourself and be a better person than they could ever be.

12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I saw the HT who made me redundant (for personal reasons, and yes, I know that shouldn't be the case...but it was) crossing the road at lights when it was green for me...:D

I have to say the self-control I needed to press on the brake not the accelerator amazes me to this day...;)

13. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

I really wouldn't because it isn't worth it. Best thing is to ignore them, which will burn the hell out of them.

14. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Ignore them. Easier said than done but you have to move on with your life.

15. grumpydogwoman

Lara mfl 05, ilovesooty and Pomza like this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Supermarkets are full of people trying to avoid each other. Just join them.

17. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

It would only back fire on you if you were to let rip. All you can do really is make a point of ignoring them particularly if they speak to you, you could cut them dead which might be quite satisfying. Apart from that sadly, there's little else you can do to get revenge.

a1976 likes this.
  18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'd say you stood a good chance getting arrested for a public order offence under ss 4 -5 of the Public Order Act 1986 for using threatening or abusive words or behaviour.

Better to ignore them and move on.

19. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Just walk past and mutter “w*nker” very quietly at them.

Then sneak up behind them a little later and whisper “I know where you live”.

That might put them through 1% of what you’ve been through.

20. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Smile at them and give a polite hello and carry on with your day. After all why should you care what other people think?